MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
dfellows5
Found some matches.

Default Seasoning the underside of a Blackstone Griddle

OK, just got 36" Blackstone for father's day. It will hopefully fit in well with my 3 different type smokers, and my Weber Kettle charcoal grill and Weber Genesis Gas Grill. Have seen and heard several ways of prepping the back side of the griddle. One camp says just season like the top side the other camp says spray several coats of high heat BBQ paint to protect it. Will probably get 50/50 suggestions but can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each. I live in south MS along the Gulf Coast (rust heaven) and it will be on my covered patio and will be getting a cover of some sort to help protect it. Have also seen bags you can store the grill part in which I would store in my utility room if this is possible with the 36" and if it would is easy to remove and install. (have not taken it out of box yet till I figure this part out. Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
dfellows5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

I don't believe there's any point to season the underside. Any rust buildup underneath would burn off on the next cook anyway. No need to overthink things here. Just keep the top cooking surface seasoned and you're good.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Let me see, seasoning the underside.

For grilled upside down cakes...

A reason to season the underside escapes me.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Haven’t seen anything about the underside.
I just got one myself. I watched every video I could find and read every article I could find. Nothing on the underside.

Get on YouTube and do a search for Todd Toven and watch his video...

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 06-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewookie View Post

Get on YouTube and do a search for Todd Toven and watch his video...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Also check out Hungry Hussey when on YouTube. He can throw down on the Blackstone. Also a good guy.
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #6
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

I wonder if a stainless hardtop cover would help you with your rust issue. That way you wouldn't have to remove the griddle top everytime you wanted to use your Blackstone.
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberWho View Post
I wonder if a stainless hardtop cover would help you with your rust issue. That way you wouldn't have to remove the griddle top everytime you wanted to use your Blackstone.
I don't believe the hardtop will prevent rust as it will still be exposed to air. But, the hardtop is great as a cover as it is far more convenient to use than the soft cover.

The best way to keep it from rusting is to not let too much time pass in between uses, clean it (water and towel on hot griddle), then re-season before putting away. The more you use it, the more seasoned and rust resistant it will become.