Komodo Kamado?

SimcoBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Who out there has 1? I’m a few weeks away from pullin the trigger on a 32” Big Bad without ever seeing one in person. It’s a pretty big investment so any who’s been up close and personal or owns 1 would you buy it again?

Don’t have one, but looking at your cooking arsenal you’re pretty well set. Is the KK gonna replace something of be an addition?

I'd like to know if there is anything other than the looks that can justify that price tag.

Baby back maniac has one

I think Baby Back Maniac sold his didn't he?

I have been eying a 32 Big Bad for over a year. I almost pulled the trigger early fall last year but backed off for a couple of other pits I wanted. So meanwhile I keep studying and resisting the high dollar pull of the trigger. I would like to find a used one but they are usually pricey to say the least and never near me anyway.

@SimcoBBQ, I am betting you know that Dennis has his own forum devoted to the KK.

Last edited:
Would you consider a 26 inch kettle and $5000 worth of prime cuts to grill or smoke on it?
Just kidding. Buy what you want and cook it up. Good luck!

A friend of mine has the 23" and I used to have a Kamado Joe. There is nothing wrong with a KJ or BGE but I can tell you there is no comparison to the KK. That thing is built like a tank including the grates and other hardware.

Does it matter to the outcome -- probably not.

If you have the funds and want a kamado, that’s the one to get. Build quality and heft and design features truly are way above everyone else. You pay for it for sure...doubtful it changes the outcome of your food, but then again what cooker does?? If I wanted a kamado centerpiece to an outdoor space, I’d get one for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That thing weighs something like 900 lbs. but they advertise it as "rolling effortlessly" on the built-in wheels.

I don't know if I would go barefoot or wearing flip flops around that beast!

Please post pics if you pull the trigger. The build quality is supposed to be outstanding.

I have had a 23 KK for many years and it is high-quality perfection; however, I would not buy a bigger one to accommodate large cooks. I should note, I have done some big cooks on the 23 KK with no issues.

For large capacity smoking, I would get a premium gravity fed cabinet smoker (e.g., Deep South) if I needed to go bigger. A cabinet smoker provides such easy access to your food.

For large capacity grilling, the KK, relative to its price, does not offer any meaningful advantage. Two exceptions would be the dual-zone capability of the larger KKs--and they all make great pizza ovens.

I got pretty serious into BBQ about 13 years ago. A KK was the first kamado-style cooker I saw and I was REALLY in awe about the beauty of them. If you have the money to get one, that will be a great investment for sure. Just be careful not to break it!

$6000 (yikes!) would inspire a lot of green envy on my part but the KK is a lot of cooker. I've been very happy with the new-in box Primo XL and stand I bought on Craigslist ~4 years ago. For what I paid I've always wondered if it 'accidentally' fell off the truck but I'm not talking.

Unless the looks is important, or space, I would say no. A Kamado is a compromise tool. Good at a number of things, great at none. I say this from owning one for about 4 years now (not a KK) plus a number of other grills and smokers that I have owned much longer.

First off, I don’t think they are much better than OK smokers. I much prefer the flavor off a stick burner, and even most pellet and charcoal grills do better than a Kamado due to higher airflow. Sure they hold a stable temp really well, but that makes pretty graphs but not flavor and bark.

As a grill, they work great, but the 37.5” Weber Ranch is bigger and works as well or better for any grilling task I can think of.

As a pizza oven, they are OK once you get a setup and recipe that works for you, but the ergonomics are poor. You are much better off with a pizza oven with an open door so you can watch. This is especially true for Neapolitan style pies that cook (or burn!) super fast. I have done 900+ degree pizza cooks in my Kamado, and while it works, I don’t recommend it. I really would not recommend it for a Kamado that size! It will work better for something like a modified NY style cooked at 550-650, but still not nearly as easy as a pizza oven.

So, for the cost of one large KK, you could get a grill, smoker, and pizza oven that all do their jobs better.

I think Baby Back Maniac sold his didn't he?

I have been eying a 32 Big Bad for over a year. I almost pulled the trigger early fall last year but backed off for a couple of other pits I wanted. So meanwhile I keep studying and resisting the high dollar pull of the trigger. I would like to find a used one but they are usually pricey to say the least and never near me anyway.

@SimcoBBQ, I am betting you know that Dennis has his own forum devoted to the KK.
yep , I've been spending a lot of time there lately

I have had a 23 KK for many years and it is high-quality perfection; however, I would not buy a bigger one to accommodate large cooks. I should note, I have done some big cooks on the 23 KK with no issues.

For large capacity smoking, I would get a premium gravity fed cabinet smoker (e.g., Deep South) if I needed to go bigger. A cabinet smoker provides such easy access to your food.

For large capacity grilling, the KK, relative to its price, does not offer any meaningful advantage. Two exceptions would be the dual-zone capability of the larger KKs--and they all make great pizza ovens.

I've got a high capacity dual fuel Stumpville smoker , the larger grilling capacity and 2 zone has had my eye for years on the larger KK's

thanks for all the feedback! I've spent the last 20 years owning different komado's (i'm a Primo distributor) so I'm familiar with the short comings. I've been eyeing these for years and just couldn't justify the $ tag. the better half agreed on the purchase so long as she chooses the color , so i'm in!

Back