MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Default Whole Hog for the Holidays

My brother and I are considering a small hog for the holiday meal. I found a listing off of Craigslist for about a 40 lb (estimated weight for 2 more weeks) finished, dressed ready to go hog for $35. Sounds too good to be true.

Thoughts? Is their anything I should be concerned about - as in getting a sick hog which could translate into sick family? $35 just sounds like a steal to me.

Now let's assume it's good - any tricks for smoking a whole hog? We'll be smoking in the Backwoods Competitor, so it will be standing up. Thinking about wrapping it in chicken wire. Not sure how long it will take.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

My grandmother used to say, that if you buy a diamond ring for 10 cents, you’re probably going to get a ring that isn’t worth a dime…

I’d worry about it…
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

My only experience with buying meat is at supermarket prices, so don't know if that's really low or not coming directly from the farmer. I could care less about wasting $35. I just don't want to waste time or worse get us sick.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Buying meat off Craigs list???
I guess if it is local and you can do some background on the supplier,
otherwise..............NOT!!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

The guy seems to be a farmer or at least raise his own hogs. Here's the listing:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/500811431.html

Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Bobby, go to your local meat locker and talk with them. I have bought several hogs and cows in the past and they can be trusted and you can actually tell them what you want. i.e. whole dressed hog versus cut up and processed any way you would want. Prices generally are dictated by the daily markets.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
ole'e
On the road to being a farker

Default hog

I saw that same post. I believe that is just for the hog, it does not include any processing. I would just go to a meat market.
Eric
Louisiana Gill 680
26 ft Work and Play
ole'e is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I been in email contact with the seller, and the $35 includes him having the pig ready for me to smoke - cleaned, head removed and legs cut under the shoulders and hams.

I called another meat company in the local area and it's only asking $1.85 per lb from the 40-50 ready to cook weight. So, maybe the $35 isn't really that low of a market cost if it's coming straight from his hog lot.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Men-N-Blue BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Ive got a hog farm here in town and she sells hogs for $80.00 per 100lbs. $35.00 for a 30lbs or 4o lbs hog sounds about right. I think I would pick it up personally and inspect the meat before money transfer happens.
Men-N-Blue BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

If its a local farmer I'd go for it. $35 is not a lot of money and you would help support local farmers.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

He said it's corn fed amd laughed when I asked why only $35. He said that he'd consider himself lucky to get that at today's market prices.

The other option is to pay about $80 from a local meat locker - that's $1.85 per lb & tax.

It's not the money I'm concerned about, but it does seem low. Now on one hand I want to support the farmer directly and on the other hand I like the convenience and piece of mind with the meat locker. I'll get it figured out.

Anyway - how long would you all plan on it taking? Let's say I have a 40 lb oinker in there at 235. It usually takes me about 8 hours to do an 8 lb butt - surely the hour per lb here is not the case. I might bump the temp up in order to speed it up if necessary.

Again, it will be standing up inside the vertical chamber wrapped in chicken wire to hold it together

Old 12-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Well, I picked up the piggy tonight. I think it was born yesterday, this could end up being the smallest oinker ever smoked. I'll take pictures tomorrow as I season it with a few shakes of salt and pepper. I hope you all have large monitors so you can see it.

I was told it would be about 40 lbs dressed. I'm guessing I got one closer to 20 lbs. Of course, the person I made the deal with wasn't there I paid his mother. Being as the price was low to begin with, I just took it and emailed him when I got home.

I'm not going to worry about it and just have fun with it. I also have over 16 lbs of boston butt and a 13 lb brisket to cook so we won't be going hungry.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #13
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

235 might be a little hot. I shoot for 200-225 and at that size aim for 9-11 hours. Check it at 6 hours and that should give you an idea. Check the hams and the butts though. That's the thickest.

Enjoy and don't forget the pics.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #14
Paulie G.
is one Smokin' Farker

I buy 70# roaster hogs here in PA for 1.49/#. You need to do your own math. I'd look close if I were you.
Klose custom 28'x7' Golf Pro Classic mobile pit.

Last edited by Paulie G.; 12-20-2007 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Paulie G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #15
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I received an email from the person that sold me the pig last night and he offered to let me decide the price for the pig and send me a check for the difference. Unfortunately, it's not the money, it's just that this pig doesn't have much meat on it - hardly worth smoking. If I would have known the pig was going to be so small, I would picked it up alive and let it live in my backyard for a few months (just kidding) but I would have ordered a larger pig from a locker.

In the grand scheme, it isn't a big deal (getting more pork to smoke was easy) and I really don't care about getting any money back. I only wish the seller would have informed me of the weight of the pig before slaughter. It's kind of a shame that an beautiful animal with such grand potential wasn't given his fair chance to fatten up to be ... well, all it could be. I'll shed a tear for the oinker as I pull it off the smoker.