Pork butt brand

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Do you guys have a preferred brand for pork butts? I have been using ibp, and Smithfield prime reserve from Sam's club. The Wal-Mart around me carry Tyson enhanced. Thanks.

I've always preached consistency. If I'm going to cook Smithfield prime, I'm going to try my best to cook it every weekend. Every company has different feed programs and different ways to finish out their hogs. It's hard to have consistent cooks if you aren't consistent with your products.

I agree. The Smithfield prime butts, seem to be a little shorter and fatter than the ibp. I think the Smithfield cook a little faster do to them being shallower. Thanks for the input.

I agree with using a consistent brand. That's why I cook IBP. Personally, I've had better luck with IBP than with other brands of pork butts.

Recently we switched to the Costco Boneless Pork Butts (Swift Premium) because of the great selection. I like the Smithfield's that you get at Sam's club/Walmart - however most of the time the selection is dismal - maybe a couple in the case. Where as with Costco - there is about 30 or more two packs to choose from. The MM's are always a good size. The horn muscle will sometimes overcook since it has no bone around it. However we have switched to using the MM for our chunk/pulled.

Have not cooked a Swift/Smithfield side-by-side to determine the difference in flavor...

Lately we've also been going with the Smithfield's from Wal-Mart. As has been already pointed out, they sometimes do not have a "bunch 'o butts" to choose from, so I try and swing by periodically and stock up a few weeks before each comp. It's Wal-Mart, so I'm going there for something anyway:wink::wink:

Back