WSM comp set up

Smokin D@wg@77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted share something with yall. This was idea i had for wind blocker/ heat safety/ logo /sponsorship holder all in all just good WSM set up holder. It breaks down into 2 pcs back unbolts and the 2 sides fold down flat and can be laid in bed of truck(76" bed). We still have more to do logos and team name across the front but we took it out for 1st comp this year. Worked just as we thought it would, fri and sat saw 15-20 mph winds ALL night and day and the WSMs ran like champs right where we wanted them to be.

Last edited:
Very nice. I've been thinking about building something like that for my WSM.

Really like the idea!, and it looks great.
I just got a WSM 22 for Christmas and am planning a screen for mine, probably a tri fold type out of a sheet of sign plastic 1/4" that I have. Given the height of the smoker, I am trying to figure out a workable hold down without being too bulky.

BTW, which air flow do you perfer, I see you have two different types.

Really like the idea!, and it looks great.
I just got a WSM 22 for Christmas and am planning a screen for mine, probably a tri fold type out of a sheet of sign plastic 1/4" that I have. Given the height of the smoker, I am trying to figure out a workable hold down without being too bulky.

BTW, which air flow do you perfer, I see you have two different types.

Highly recommend the Cajun bandit door upgrade ! single best thing ive done make great difference

Highly recommend the Cajun bandit door upgrade ! single best thing ive done make great difference

Was one of the first things I did, everyone I talked to said it was the best way to go, so I listen to experience. Also got the bigger water bowl, I do like the H2O cook.

What comp were you at? FBA?

Temps were more steady due to no affect from winds. Past couple comps winds have been anywhere from 15-20 mph , and when we didn't have the Cajun bandit doors and wind blocker. Temps would spike in winds due to door seal on stock door just isn't enough.

But the wind blocker also comes up high enough to block wind off lid rim as well , if get strong enough wind it can leak in from around lid closer as well.

Cookers just ran alot smoother no 25-35 degree spikes cause had to open lid several times to manage the meats or sprits or check temps.

The other part just looks cool , were going put our logo on it with our team name and its place for sponsorships until we get like big boys with trailer.

That's a cool finish on the outside of the plywood - did you use a torch to do that or just an artistic stain?

Noticed you have the lid hinges on the WSM, any problem with the wind racking the barrel? Thought about it but they were out of stock when I ordered the door and pan. Which Flame Boss you use? I saw several and was unsure of which one was best without "overkill". Plus the cost was a little steep right now.
Which FBA comp were you at?

Id highly recommend unknown bbq hinge as well its a great addition, works falsely. Flame Boss 500 is on left side WSM , the thermo works signals with billows is on right. This was at Pigz in Hillz event zepyherhills fla.

We head to lessburg fl. on Friday

Back