Memphis Elite/Memphis Pro?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
How many of you guys have seen these in action or used them yourself? Any thoughts? Very expensive, but also look pretty awesome based on the interwebs research I've done.

Gtsum may be able to answer your questions best as I believe he has a Memphis elite. I’ve never cooked on one but from my research it’s one bad smoker/grill and when I say bad I mean good in the best way possible

Gtsum has been providing me info on another forum. And yes, all my research says the same, which it should for that price tag!

I have an advantage. It’s a hell of a griller, way better than my old rectec. Smoke is fairly light though.

Gtsum has been providing me info on another forum. And yes, all my research says the same, which it should for that price tag!

You get what you pay for. It’s top of the line though. Malcom reed has a few vids from start up to clean up on his YouTube channel

The Elite is a great cooker. Like a fine appliance really. I would say, if you like heavy smoke flavor, it is likely not for you though.

However, it’s built extremely well, heats up very quickly, reaches scorching temps, and is great to look at. Little things like the grease management system and how not a whips of smoke escapes anywhere except the exhaust...it doesn’t shake or shimmy when opening and closing the lid (how many, many other pellet cookers do). I do think it is likely over priced for what it is, but what isn’t these days? :)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've used a couple different Memphis cookers over the years. They are very nice, and very even heat in my experience. I cooked with some employees of theirs at the American royal a few years back. Great guys, and a great company. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend their grills, but most likely would never purchase one. Too much money for what they are, and I prefer the look of a smoker. They look like gas grills to me. Would be very nice built-in to an outdoor setup though.

I see plenty of smoke coming out of the exhaust on Memphis grills so I’m not entirely convinced it’s really that light but with that said I’ve never eaten food off of one. I would like to see the exhaust be dropped closer to the bottom grate like Mak does though. That simple change alone would probably give better convection and smoke flavor.

They are pricey though. A cheaper alternative that is still built great and will not rust is a Kuma pellet grill. Similar design and it’s 304 stainless and powder coated aluminized steel construction like a Mak.

I love my Memphis Elite!!! I think the smoke profile is perfect, not too heavy and not too light, right in the middle. I’m really happy with the food it produces, way better than my Komodo Kamado I had. Thin blue smoke all the time and can direct grill steaks at 500-600 with ease.

I love mine until this weekend when I keep getting 32f readings and the ER2 code.

My Pro is several years old and I have never had an issue with it. It does a great job smoking and grilling and will hit 650 degrees! The Pro and the Elite have a double-wall box so they do better in colder weather, plus the Pro (not sure about the elite) has a divided pellet hopper so you can run two flavors of pellets if you want to.

I got my Memphis Pro yesterday and cooked two pizzas on it (Walmart 'Market Fresh' pizzas, not frozen or homemade). I was disappointed at the lack of a smoke flavor (not light - a lack of) the Memphis gave the pizza.

Prior to the Memphis, I have cooked pizza on a Primo ceramic and, more recently, on an Ooni (now called Uuni). I had heard the Memphis was 'light' on smoke but I was disappointed to find that my pizza tasted like it had been cooked in my kitchen oven.

It was my first cook, and I cooked the two pizzas differently. Both on a pan but the first also set on a pizza stone, the second on a pan with no stone. I cooked them both as the box recommended (425 for 10-12 mins). Both required a little longer than the recommended duration.

Being a new owner, I'm looking for tips to get a better smoke flavor on my food. Is adding a tube the ONLY way to get to where I want to be? Should I be cranking the temps up higher or doing something different that what the box recommends? I do usually do handmade but I was in a hurry to try it after the initial burn-off - and I'm not sure that has anything to do with smoke flavor anyway.

Interested in any tips!! Thanks

I got my Memphis Pro yesterday and cooked two pizzas on it (Walmart 'Market Fresh' pizzas, not frozen or homemade). I was disappointed at the lack of a smoke flavor (not light - a lack of) the Memphis gave the pizza.

Prior to the Memphis, I have cooked pizza on a Primo ceramic and, more recently, on an Ooni (now called Uuni). I had heard the Memphis was 'light' on smoke but I was disappointed to find that my pizza tasted like it had been cooked in my kitchen oven.

It was my first cook, and I cooked the two pizzas differently. Both on a pan but the first also set on a pizza stone, the second on a pan with no stone. I cooked them both as the box recommended (425 for 10-12 mins). Both required a little longer than the recommended duration.

Being a new owner, I'm looking for tips to get a better smoke flavor on my food. Is adding a tube the ONLY way to get to where I want to be? Should I be cranking the temps up higher or doing something different that what the box recommends? I do usually do handmade but I was in a hurry to try it after the initial burn-off - and I'm not sure that has anything to do with smoke flavor anyway.

Interested in any tips!! Thanks

Just my opinions...

1) Pellet cookers are always going to provide an extremely light smoke profile at the higher grilling temps.
2) Pellet cookers will provide an even lighter smoke profile prior to being gunked up (seasoned) with a few good cooks.

My vote: Do a couple of low n slows, get that bad boy seasoned up and then try another pizza.

Like rwalters said pellets burn so efficiently at higher temps that there will be very little smoke.

I'd recommend introducing a smoker tube if you want more smoke flavor such as A-Maze-N tubes.

You aren’t going to get smoke flavor on your pizza in a Memphis. I’ve cooked several pies in my Elite (4-5 minute neo/ny hybrids) and the temps are too high and cook time too short to get smoke flavor.

I cooked on a Primo oval xl for 8-9 years and cooked many pizzas on that (enough that I warped two sets of bands from the high heat). That taste on the pizza in the kamado is/was creosote.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just FWIW, if you haven't committed yet and USA-made is a consideration in your choice, Memphis has informed their dealers that production is being/has been moved to China. Not sure if it's happened yet, but might be something to consider before dropping that kind of coin if it's now an import.

Regarding Elite vs. Pro (or anything else), 300-series stainless is much more corrosion-resistant than 400-series, and US stainless is more corrosion-resistant than Chinese due to lower carbon content, which may be a huge consideration in a place like Jacksonville.

MAK & Blazin' are still USA-made 304 stainless, less expensive and reputedly put out more smoke.

Somebody out there makes a marine-grade stainless unit that would probably still work if you rinsed it the Gulf, but I forgot who. (Old age is a b----h.)

Last edited:
Just FWIW, if you haven't committed yet and USA-made is a consideration in your choice, Memphis has informed their dealers that production is being/has been moved to China. Not sure if it's happened yet, but might be something to consider before dropping that kind of coin if it's now an import.

Regarding Elite vs. Pro (or anything else), 300-series stainless is much more corrosion-resistant than 400-series, and US stainless is more corrosion-resistant than Chinese due to lower carbon content, which may be a huge consideration in a place like Jacksonville.

MAK & Blazin' are still USA-made 304 stainless, less expensive and reputedly put out more smoke.

Somebody out there makes a marine-grade stainless unit that would probably still work if you rinsed it the Gulf, but I forgot who. (Old age is a b----h.)

Pitts and spitts makes an all 304 stainless unit, built in Texas, and built with 7 and 10 Gauge steel

A little off topic, but has anyone used a griddle on top of a Memphis? Grilling is great but the direct flame space is limited.

I had thought that I could grill along the entire cooking surface of a Memphis Pro, but after trying it (once), I'm not sure that's possible unless I sear the ones in the middle first and then relocate all of them and reverse sear the ones that started on the periphery. Never reverse seared a burger - not sure how that would turn out...

I thought a cast iron griddle would allow for a (mostly) evenly heated cooking surface.

If anyone HAS used one - do you put it over a direct flame or indirect?

Thanks.

Back