picanha in the U.S. ..specifically costco?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I want to dry-age some picanha and see how it turns out.

Am I just looking for a sirloin cap? Does Costco typically carry this cut? I've never looked for it.

Not sure about Costco, but when I see it around here, it is normally labeled culotte.

Youd probably be better off dry aging the whole subprimal instead of just the culotte/picanha/namp184d. They're fairly thin and you wouldnt have much left after cutting off the exterior waste, and the best part of the cut (fat cap) probably wouldn't survive either way.

I've never seen it at costco with the cap still on, though I'm pretty sure I've seen "top sirloin roast - cap off" in the bin. Its vacuum packed so I doubt they butcher them on site which means they probably couldnt leave the cap on by special request.

Last edited:
I ve seen them at the business costco but they are trimmed fat cap removed.

I usually hit up a local grocery store when they have sirloin on sale and ask the butchers to open up a cryo and give me sirloin cap. Never had an issue doing this and they are impressed that I am in the know, on this delicious cut of beef

They have them here in Texas at heb for 6$ a pound choice grade with the caps on.

Costco carries it but it's rare to find it. You can find the cap off easily but cap on is harder to come by.
lusgzrcl.jpg

Back