MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

I hope it is ok to create this, not sure if there is a thread on pellets yet, but lots of questions lately and be nice to have a place to discuss the grills without having to start a new thread everyday. Lets get it started!!

Had two racks in the fridge I was going to freeze and decided to do some ribs and chicken tonight. Did one rubbed in Oakridge Dominator and one with Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. So far so good, they are looking fantastic. Did them in Hickory and Cherry and a few handfuls of mystery pellets I had in a brown bag? Think they were competition blend. Did them at 275 for 5 hours on my Wood Wind. Just some chicken breast and rubbed in some stuff from a local guy here that does hot sauces. It is called Hanks sauce. Good stuff. He is doing rubs now. Will find out in a bit how it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a17.jpg (129.1 KB, 4225 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a18.jpg (77.7 KB, 4203 views)

Last edited by Rib Rub; 04-11-2018 at 06:39 PM..
Rib Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

Love my GMG Daniel Boone. It's currently working on a couple Blu cheese bacon burgers.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I wish I could remember to take pics. I get too wrapped up in cooking, especially weekdays and forget to take pictures. I just got done eating some dry brined smoked turkey legs with the fam, made on the PitBoss. Used some fruitwood blend GMG pellets. Not bad, but they were less smoke flavored than I expected. Flavor was decent but I will have to pull the skin back and rub underneath next time to help it out. Still slicing on a couple of pastrami's that I did two weeks ago.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
I wish I could remember to take pics. I get too wrapped up in cooking, especially weekdays and forget to take pictures. I just got done eating some dry brined smoked turkey legs with the fam, made on the PitBoss. Used some fruitwood blend GMG pellets. Not bad, but they were less smoke flavored than I expected. Flavor was decent but I will have to pull the skin back and rub underneath next time to help it out. Still slicing on a couple of pastrami's that I did two weeks ago.
Gotta snap a picture of the prize! Still looking to do my first Pastrami and Brisket, but most likely will do the Brisket on the PBC!

Old 04-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

I love my Traegers , best cookers I own !
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Gotta snap a picture of the prize! Still looking to do my first Pastrami and Brisket, but most likely will do the Brisket on the PBC!
Your PBC will do a great job. Pastrami I did was smoked at 200° setting, placed on the top rack which is around 25°-35° higher than the bottom, where the grills thermometer sits. It had a good amount of smoke but not overkill for sure.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

We use Rec Tec's. 2 Trailblazers and 1 Bullseye. Best investment I ever made. We keep 1 at home and 1 at our camper at the coast. Very simple to operate and the new ones have Wifi controllers, can watch and control things from anywhere on my phone. And you can't beat their warranty and customer service. We had a larger size for 4 years before selling and getting 2 smaller ones.
jgbmgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Anyone ever have this happen. I had the smoker set up with 3 pork steaks, two sweet potatoes, and a small pot of baked beans. I had it set on low smoke, then turned it up 250, went it to wait for it to come up to temp, all of a sudden there was a loud bang, and my wife who was at the door saw the lid fly open and then saw it slam shut. I checked it out and it seamed ok, so I continued to cook even up the temp to 350. Anyway what in the heck could have cause it to do that?
Dave

Old 04-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
Love my GMG Daniel Boone. It's currently working on a couple Blu cheese bacon burgers.
I love Bacon Blu Cheese burgers. That is my goto burger! I think you just game me this weekends menu!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
Bob C Cue

Good to have an Official Pellet Grill thread. Hope it's as successful as the PBCAT!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Anyone ever have this happen. I had the smoker set up with 3 pork steaks, two sweet potatoes, and a small pot of baked beans. I had it set on low smoke, then turned it up 250, went it to wait for it to come up to temp, all of a sudden there was a loud bang, and my wife who was at the door saw the lid fly open and then saw it slam shut. I checked it out and it seamed ok, so I continued to cook even up the temp to 350. Anyway what in the heck could have cause it to do that?
Dave
Yes indeed. My problem may have been a bit different. I accidentally switched it off and then back on again and the computer got screwed up and started to feed pellets non stop. I started to notice flames and then “BANG” the lid blew open and flames were flying! Freaked me out. After I got the fire out I broke the grill down and the fire box was overflowing with pellets. I never had this problem ever again, but never had any issues changing temps.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

scary stories for sure

Old 04-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #13
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Dave
What cooker do you run? Sounds pretty unusual!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
What cooker do you run? Sounds pretty unusual!
Camp Chef Deluxe.
Dave

Last edited by Mo-Dave; 04-11-2018 at 09:11 PM..
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #15
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Good to have an Official Pellet Grill thread. Hope it's as successful as the PBCAT!
I thought it would be cool to have some discussion and see some cook offs on the pellets. The PBC is a fantastic thread. I have been reading through it in bed nightly on my tablet. Hoping to have some better success with my new PBC next time around.