MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik
Default For all the Cincinnati chili fans and H8Rs...

Its more elevated than you thought! It's Greek Bolognese!

https://thetakeout.com/cincinnati-sk...Rj3dXvBiFHoDaI

Old 11-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Its more elevated than you thought! It's Greek Bolognese!

https://thetakeout.com/cincinnati-sk...Rj3dXvBiFHoDaI

Great article, thanks for sharing! I haven't had Cincinnati chili yet...
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Almost 10 years since I have been to anywhere in Ohio. I have been my childhood home are of Pittsburgh, but never made it across the line. I miss OH.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
jakel
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Dupe post

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
jakel
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Cincinnati is not Chili, but a Mediterranean-spiced meat sauce used as a topping for spaghetti or hot dogs, both dishes developed by Slavic-Macedonian immigrant restaurateurs from Greece in the 1920s.

Thanks for the post Mik

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
Bob Wiley
is one Smokin' Farker

I think we first had it at a Skyline over 35 years ago. We loved it and my wife has since started making it at home. She added hot banana pepper rings on the toppings once so now we are a six-way family.
Bob Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Great article, thanks for sharing! I haven't had Cincinnati chili yet...
You should try it. It's quite addictive.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:47 PM   #8
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

I get up to Cincinnati (West Chester) at least 3 times per year, my sister lives there. Matter of fact I was there 10/26 - 10/31 and this was the first time I tried the Cincinnati Chili, while it was pretty tasty it does take some getting used. Now if you want to talk about Jungle Jim’s.
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Evil-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #9
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Yes, it does take a bit of adjustment. First time i had it I thought it quite odd.

Jungle Jim's is pretty cool, but they have really reduced their exotic meats. I used to be able to but racks of New Zealand Red Deer there that were just incredible. But as far as produce? Never seen the like.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #10
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I discovered it's Greek origins a few years ago after craving coneys. I can still remember Kroger wanted $4.99 for 15oz can of Skyline chili sauce. Crazy expensive so I started investigating for recipes and learned of it's history. 4 way for me.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #11
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Whatever it is, it's good stuff.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #12
16Adams

Years ago I ordered the Skyline dry mix packets. I think it was 6. Gave one away, threw one old one away that had worked its way invisible in the back of the pantry. I quite enjoyed piling it on top of spaghetti with cheddar onions and generous shakes of of Tabasco. I’ve since made it a couple time loosely following a recipe from The International Chili Society Official Chili Cookbook. Cooking myself I reduced the allspice and cloves though did not omit them. Added extra chili powder and red pepper (pizza pepper) flakes. I always enjoy Chili threads- the online article comments can be brutal though
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

My wife’s brothers both live in Ohio. When we go visit them we always get a cheese coney from skyline. It’s good stuff. Funny thing is when they come here to visit they always want to go to the varsity for chili dogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I love CC, we hit jungle jims about a year ago and stopped at skyline down town , great stuff and call it any thing you want lol, were going to plan a 2 day trip back this spring and take a big cooler in case lol

Old 11-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #15
16Adams

https://www.thechunkychef.com/copyca...cinnati-chili/

For those interested. If you make it yourself. For us in the south it’ll somewhat shock your senses. First time I ate it I though this would be killer in Lasagna or American Goulash. All I can say is it’s a nice change up. It’s been a few years so may be time to revisit.
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote