New to smoking, from Wichita, KS.

Leroyme

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Matt, and I just dove into the meat smoking world last weekend! I took my wife to Academy Sports to buy her an electric smoker, as I saw earlier in the year that they had a pretty amazing selection. However, they have gotten rid of all but one of their compact smokers! We did see that they had a HUGE clearance sale going on. Apparently, they do this once per year. I found an Oklahoma Joe’s Bandera smoker on clearance! The compact electric smoker (not on clearance) was $169. I almost had it in the cart when I found the Bandera smoker. I had no idea what it was worth, or that there is a huge group of people that love them! The tag on the Bandera said $199.98. The employee nearby said everything that ends in “.98” is on clearance, for an additional 50% off! Yeah. I knew it was WELL WORTH $100 for the Bandera. I later looked it up on Google, and saw it selling for $579! WOW! I’m glad I bought it! I also found a Weber iGrill2 digital thermometer with 2 probes on clearance! Yes. Another steal! $30! I haven’t made any modifications to the smoker yet, but have some gasket and fire bricks coming. I also work in metal shops, so I hope I can get a fire grate made soon. I smoked my first meal last weekend, some Salmon from Costco. WOW. it was great! The temp was difficult to keep above 200, but I think my upgrades will help.
Thanks to everyone for the tips! I’ve learned so much already!

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome to The Brethren and congrats on the new toys.

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona.

Welocme to the asylum, Matt!

Take a look around and if you have questions please feel free to contact the moderator team or our senior members. Their names are color coded so you can recognized them.

Also, each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post.

Finally, please review our rules! They are pretty straight forward, but looking at them up front may help to eliminate problems later :-D

Oh! Don't forget to add your name to the Brethren Map, located at the top of this Cattle Call forum.

Most important, have fun and join in our conversations and share and learn!

Just had this fire grate made from .135” stainless! There are perks to working in metal shops!

Back