MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #931
agensop
On the road to being a farker

I would not suggest doing anything to the intake after its set because the nut to get to the cooker is right infront of the coal basket and unless you have a fire proofs suit you are going to burn the hell out of yourself reaching down almost into the fire to fiddling with it. for best result (for me) i use the weber half sized chimney, get those flaming hot then dump. i burned myself a few times when i had rack of babyback fall and i had to go get em. and i had a wing fall and had to go get it. but i also had wood chunks in there and having the lid off too long you will have a column of flame firing up to attack you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post

This one is applicable to charcoal

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._charcoal.html

Build a small hot fire. You want to see flame. Fires burning in the 650 to 750°F range in the hot spots burn off the impurities that can becreated in an incomplete secondary combustion. That means that you need a lot of oxygen so you want your exhaust vent open all the way. The hot air rising through the chimney will draw in air through the intake vent. You will probably want it open wide or close to it. Low smoldering wood creates dirty smoke

Allow the fire to get rolling and allow the pit to warm up. Start the fire well before the food goes on. Warm the walls of the cooker.When a recipe says "preheat" your cooker, do it. Adjust your airflow and get the temp, fire, and smoke stabilized. Be aware of the weather. It is harder to get blue smoke in cold, rainy, or windy weather.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:13 AM   #932
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agensop View Post
I would not suggest doing anything to the intake after its set because the nut to get to the cooker is right infront of the coal basket and unless you have a fire proofs suit you are going to burn the hell out of yourself reaching down almost into the fire to fiddling with it. for best result (for me) i use the weber half sized chimney, get those flaming hot then dump. i burned myself a few times when i had rack of babyback fall and i had to go get em. and i had a wing fall and had to go get it. but i also had wood chunks in there and having the lid off too long you will have a column of flame firing up to attack you.
You're in a challenging situation brother, try to stay safe for sure.

BTW I never asked you. Is there anyone around to give you a hand with the cookers if you get in a bind or do you have things pretty well in control?

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #933
Twisted T's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Just thought I'd provide some good reading for those thinking about getting a PBC and for the new owners. Great information from an expert in the BBQ, smoking, and grilling world.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...-barrel-cooker
good read , interesting though that they don't believe in letting meat rest and def no letting meat rest in foil
Twisted T's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #934
agensop
On the road to being a farker

i have things pretty well in control. most cookers i buy i research pretty heavy and if i can find somewhere with a store model i play around with it alot before i make a purchase. Ive been grilling 15 years ive been cooking 20 ive developed a system that works well for me. thats why i dont run with too many mods and such on my cookers to keep the possible point of failure to a minimum.

Quote:
You're in a challenging situation brother, try to stay safe for sure.

BTW I never asked you. Is there anyone around to give you a hand with the cookers if you get in a bind or do you have things pretty well in control?

Old 08-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #935
Fwismoker

This is all in the charcoal article from the BBQ Expert Aclarke sighted. Since we cook on charcoal I thought this was interesting.

Meathead thought it was important enough to put this excerpt from Harry Soo.

We'll talk about the issues in a minute, but here's the bottom line: Harry Soo of Slap Yo Daddy BBQ, one of the top 10 competition teams year in and year out once told me "I buy whatever is on sale." Mike Wozniak of Quau, the 2010 Kansas City Barbeque Society Team of the Year and winner of scores of championships told me "Charcoal is for heat, not flavor. Wood is for flavor. I cook on whatever brand the competition sponsor is giving away for free."

Something else i thought was interesting is that Meathead prefers charcoal chimney....He's an expert so I'll follow his advice.

Here he talks about self lighting coals but it's the same concept as fluid.

...again here's the link to that.
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._charcoal.html

Some folks say they can taste the additives in their food. I can't, and in a previous career I was a pretty well known wine taster and won several competitions. Self-igniting Match-Light charcoal, which has mineral spirits added to promote ignition, is a different story. Kingsford and government regulators say it is safe if you follow instructions, but I think they can taint the food. I don't use the stuff and I don't recommend it. Charcoal is easy to light with chimneys and I highly recommend them. Click the link to see how easy they are and what other charcoal lighting options are available.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:53 AM   #936
Cibelo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
if only you _were_ "out". But, sadly, you will come back into this thread with your opinions and advice, even though you don't have a pbc and are far from appreciative of it.

+1
Cibelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #937
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibelo View Post

+1
I've been looking for a PBC on craigslist but unfortunately I can't find one close to me yet. I did find this one outside Chicago if it can help someone.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/5150372276.html

Old 08-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #938
lonestar8302
Found some matches.

Default And...Cook #2!

Huli-Huli chicken (recipe from here: http://briantissot.com/2015/05/25/bb...barrel-cooker/)

Quite possibly the best chicken I've ever had. :)

lonestar8302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #939
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

a few picture from last night. ended up making chicken and noodles off the stove top
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2626.jpg (46.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2628.jpg (41.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2630.jpg (42.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2631.jpg (27.7 KB, 209 views)

Old 08-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #940
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

heres some of the finishing product
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2633.jpg (33.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2634.jpg (27.6 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2635.jpg (24.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2636.jpg (30.0 KB, 206 views)

Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #941
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmorrow2s View Post
heres some of the finishing product
It looks perfect! I can see your non burnt around the perimeter. That means you had a nice even outward burn...Nice!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #942
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I've been looking for a PBC on craigslist but unfortunately I can't find one close to me yet. I did find this one outside Chicago if it can help someone.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/5150372276.html
Your most useful post ever on this thread. As of an hour ago the PBC was still available. Someone in the Chicago area should jump on this. Great price for the PBC and the cover.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #943
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Your most useful post ever on this thread. As of an hour ago the PBC was still available. Someone in the Chicago area should jump on this. Great price for the PBC and the cover.
That hurts Bob.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #944
Bob C Cue

Quote:
That hurts Bob.
Some people just can't take a compliment!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].

Old 08-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #945
Bob C Cue

Steven Raichlen's new Project Smoke series on PBS features the PBC among other cookers. While he does at times use lump charcoal and addd some exotic woods and spices to the coal basket, in all cases so far he lights charcoal in a chimney and dumps the contents on top of his charcoal base. No pure minion method for him. Guess he is a mish mash guy.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it