MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #16
Potatoe
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Alan

I'll most likely just do the slices, unless the burnt ends turn out great. . but do your all's flat taste as good as your burnt ends? Mine aren't even close. .. But burnt ends are some of my all time favorite foods
Potatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #17
Bob in Corona
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Wishing you BBQ Excellence at the August competition !

Oh... I'd love to sample your turn-in !!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #18
Potatoe
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Corona View Post
Wishing you BBQ Excellence at the August competition !

Oh... I'd love to sample your turn-in !!!
Thanks! If you find yourself in Harford County, MD in August stop on by
Potatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #19
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
And then there's the reality of how things happen.
The reality of what? I've won brisket with squared ends. I know a cook that wins brisket on the regular that also still does.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenernator View Post
Aside the from the direction to avoid judging the smoke ring because it can be artificially induced, there isn't a rule on this. Does a squared up slice look as good a complete slice? I don't think so. That being the case, it's going to impact appearance scores, either consciously or subconsciously.
How is a squared slice any less appealing than a "complete" slice, which is far from a complete slice?

Old 06-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #21
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

As I said, my comment was being nit-picky. Small. Largely inconsequential. Yet,in my opinion the squared end detracted from the appearance. I believe the rules do not say anything about judging appearance except of how the meat is cut. Judge what's in the box is the rule. If someone could be scored down because their cuts are uneven, don't you think that this concept can be applied to other aspects of the brisket? Or are you complaining about how "any judge who marks down..." for some other reason?
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #22
Bob in Corona
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Technically (if following the current rules) one can neither judge up nor down since 1) there is no longer a "starting place", and 2) judges are to pick the single term which best describes product before you. ie, excellent, very good, above average, average, .....

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #23
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenernator View Post
Aside the from the direction to avoid judging the smoke ring because it can be artificially induced, there isn't a rule on this. Does a squared up slice look as good a complete slice? I don't think so. That being the case, it's going to impact appearance scores, either consciously or subconsciously.
You shouldn't compare it to a "complete" slice. KCBS is not comparative judging, so does it look as good doesn't enter the equation.

I use the word complete because you did, but even that isn't a complete slice. Whether you trim before or after the cook, you aren't getting a full width slice from a flat in a comp.

That being said, I agree that it could affect things subconsciously. It shouldn't, but it could. Same with pretty greens. Sure, the meat is what's to be judged, and you shouldn't be knocked down for sloppy kale/parsley, but if the pretty stuff makes the meat look better, you're getting a lift from good rabbit food.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #24
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
As I said, my comment was being nit-picky. Small. Largely inconsequential. Yet,in my opinion the squared end detracted from the appearance. I believe the rules do not say anything about judging appearance except of how the meat is cut. Judge what's in the box is the rule. If someone could be scored down because their cuts are uneven, don't you think that this concept can be applied to other aspects of the brisket? Or are you complaining about how "any judge who marks down..." for some other reason?

If the squared off cuts are uneven, then go ahead. But scoring a team down because they didn't turn in a "complete slice" is not following the rules of judging. On top of it, boxes like that are common practice.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #25
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

You do still do have control over how squared ends look in the box by their overall width. I have seen some beautiful squared ends that FILL the box.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #26
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it varies depending on where you are at.....if you read enough stories you will hear all kinds of things that surprise you....but as for me, we ALWAYS trim the sides of our slices to make them fit the way we want.

that said, here is a brisket box we turned in last year that finished 3rd with a 174.85......5 out of 6 9's on appearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brisket1.JPG (99.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg brisket2.JPG (97.9 KB, 69 views)
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #27
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

177.7028 and all nines on appearance. The only place I've ever heard anyone complain about squared off brisket slices is the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 04, 1 26 41 PM.jpg (38.2 KB, 65 views)

Old 06-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #28
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Judge what is in the box, and not the tips that aren't. If the cuts are ragged, ding the entry. Deducting points just because the slices are squared up isn't any different than taking points because burnt ends aren't in the box.

The OP may have the best 'first box' I've ever seen. I wish mine had looked that good!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #29
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Judge what is in the box, and not the tips that aren't. If the cuts are ragged, ding the entry. Deducting points just because the slices are squared up isn't any different than taking points because burnt ends aren't in the box.

The OP may have the best 'first box' I've ever seen. I wish mine had looked that good!
I agree.....my first brisket box.....man oh man, when I got done with it, I threw it on the ground a couple of dogs walked by and instead of eating it, they hiked up their legs and took a piss.

just kidding of course......but it was very bad.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #30
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post

I'm with ya. That's a great first box. I just went back and looked at the first brisket box I ever turned in. It sucked!