MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
BigQTn
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Wholesale BBQ

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question and won't get ripped to shreds, but I don't know the answer...and that's why I'm asking

I know of one convenience store in my area that smokes their own bbq for sale out of their deli/hot foods counter. Most others do not offer bbq, I'm guessing due to time/equipment/resource issues. Do any of you sell to convenience stores (or even restaurants I guess) wholesale for them to resell to the public?

The immediate concern that comes to mind is the safe handling of the bbq. How could the c-store handle the meat to ensure the safety of the meat? What are other issues or concerns?

Thanks in advance,
BigQ
BigQTn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Check HD first, safe handling after you deliver is a concern you need to manage.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigQTn View Post
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question and won't get ripped to shreds, but I don't know the answer...and that's why I'm asking BigQ
Hi Ya BigQ,

I don't know squat about vending so I'm not even going to take a stab at this one.
What I do know about is the Brethren - ripping someone to shreds for asking a question is not on our list of things to do - so ask away.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The problem, at least here in CA is that food that is prepared off-site for wholesale that is destined to be sold by another store requires a different level of kitchen approval than catering and/or restaurant service. Commissary and wholesale good sales of ready-to-eat foods is a more expensive proposition than just cooking and serving. That being said, I am sure there are Brethren that do it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

I know I sound like a broken record, but the State HD can tell you right away what is needed in terms of production, storage, shipping, labeling, etc in order to sell to C stores or restaurants. They can help you with the liability side too. We use an FDA approved kitchen, and with the right equipment, the sky is the limit. Right now, the baked goods that go to local markets are relatively headache free.

FYI - No one here is in the ripping to shreds biz. The Brethren continues to be one of the few message boards where everyone enjoys being a resource!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

C Rocke is what we like to call "uptown". He has the catering/foodservice world by the sack byhaving access to an FDA kitchen. An FDA kitchen is what you will need to prepackage an sell wholesale Q outwards. Don't forget the additional Nutrition Information, and keeping books for origination of product.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

I wish I was uptown - I totally backed into the deal, and am still pretty clueless on all the ins and outs, and too cheap to spend the $$ to find out (lol).

Old 04-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
BigQTn
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for all the responses! Off to the HD I go!!!

BigQTn
BigQTn is offline   Reply With Quote