MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Default Any "Babe" owners?

I did a search and didn't see anything so, here I am ...

Does anyone run a "Babe" from Primitive Pits? How is it working out for you? I may be building a small getaway cabin while I do a new house build so, a smaller offset would be nice to pair with one of my WSMs.

Contrasts with similar options would be nice.

TIA,
Sid

Old 09-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Why not another Evie Mae .?

You just wanna try traditional this time.?

Old 09-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #3
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Why not another Evie Mae .?

You just wanna try traditional this time.?
Is Arnis back in production?

I want to try a direct flow this time but, in a little smoker, it probably isn't the best idea though.

Separately, I need to put one on a trailer or buy a trailer smoker. I'm probably better off selling my Shirley into a 250-gallon Primitive Pit or Austin Smoke Works and getting a smaller reverse flow or small cabinet for the cabin.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
Is Arnis back in production?

I want to try a direct flow this time but, in a little smoker, it probably isn't the best idea though.

Separately, I need to put one on a trailer or buy a trailer smoker. I'm probably better off selling my Shirley into a 250-gallon Primitive Pit or Austin Smoke Works and getting a smaller reverse flow or small cabinet for the cabin.
you need a 250 gallon .?

Old 09-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
you need a 250 gallon .?
Need... want... pretty much the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

if you don't need a Bigger smoker - be like Hotch and get your Shirley patio converted to trailer.......

Old 09-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #7
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

I can't really justify a Shirley and 250-gallon concurrently as I don't do large cooks enough to put TWO of them to good use. The Evie Mae is a good one to keep for smaller personal cooks at my "to be main house" where it will become part of an outdoor kitchen-esque setup.

I have always wanted a more traditional looking propane tank smoker just like the classic pipe smokers. With the trailer cost added to my Shirley, I am about halfway to the cost of a 250-gallon smoker from one of the well respected names in those smokers. Where I live, a lot of people heat their homes with hardwood firewood so, feeding a 250-gallon smoker wood isn't much of a concern at this point in time and I could see myself with an ice chest full of good beer, a good steak, or a small roast, and a warm Spring day or crisp Fall morning feeding the smoker wood while I feed myself some good beer while watching cattle graze and the dog chase whatever catches his attention and the cat keeps a keen eye on me for treats or a good scratch behind her ears.

In terms of need and want, I can't take it with me so, if I am going to "scratch that itch", I need to do it now while I am healthy enough and able to. I made excuses why I couldn't take time away from work to go on Safari even though I bought the double rifles to do it along with the binoculars and other gear, I ended up needing a significant shoulder rebuild before I went. Now, the recoil of those hard kickers is something I can't take without destroying my shoulder again so, other than a "photography Safari", that dream will remain unfulfilled. If I am going to do a propane tank smoker, there is no better time than TODAY!

So, here I am looking at my cabin options, which will likely include a PK300 (not a Weber Kettle/WSM) and a small offset though, my little 14" WSM will likely end up there as well.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #8
Matto6
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

I've yet to figure out why the babe is better than a Workhorse 1975. The babe is smaller, thinner steel, and costs more.

Does the tank provide better airflow? Or is it just about looking cool? Er, I mean primitive.
Matto6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #9
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matto6 View Post
I've yet to figure out why the babe is better than a Workhorse 1975. The babe is smaller, thinner steel, and costs more.

Does the tank provide better airflow? Or is it just about looking cool? Er, I mean primitive.
Classic looks from a proven platform. While the Shirley cabinet-styled smokers are well proven and respected with the benefits of more floor space and easier door swings, some people like myself prefer the classic looks of a pipe smoker.

That doesn't mean any of them are better or worse than the others though.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #10
Matto6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
Classic looks from a proven platform. While the Shirley cabinet-styled smokers are well proven and respected with the benefits of more floor space and easier door swings, some people like myself prefer the classic looks of a pipe smoker.
I'm not comparing to a shirley, but a Workhorse 1975. It looks almost the same as the babe. It's just not made from a rusty tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGfiK5A3F3g

Old 09-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #11
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

Another thing to consider was far as the Babe vs the 1975 is the Babe has 3/16th steel in the cook chamber because tanks that size are generally 3/16th. It might matter, might not.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #12
Matto6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
Another thing to consider was far as the Babe vs the 1975 is the Babe has 3/16th steel in the cook chamber because tanks that size are generally 3/16th.
Right. And the 1975 is 3/8th everywhere. That's exactly twice as thick.

And it's cheaper.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #13
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like the Workhorse is the winner then and it does have that classic look, just not the classic propane tank look.

3/16th is a bit thin for me to consider in this price range.

Old 09-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
sandro
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : sandro

The Babe is a strange beast. The 1975 is thicker, bigger, and with a longer firebox. Quite cheaper, too. It's from Primitive Pits' sister company, and has the same computational fluid dynamics-engineered design for the throat and the deflector.

I don't really see why going for the Babe. To me, the choice is really between a 1969/75 and a Primitive 250 gal
🇺🇸 Insta @sandrobbq
🇮🇹 YouTube sandrobbq
sandro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #15
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro View Post
The Babe is a strange beast. The 1975 is thicker, bigger, and with a longer firebox. Quite cheaper, too. It's from Primitive Pits' sister company, and has the same computational fluid dynamics-engineered design for the throat and the deflector.

I don't really see why going for the Babe. To me, the choice is really between a 1969/75 and a Primitive 250 gal
For a 250-Gallon propane tank pit, I'm looking at the Primitive Pit and Austin Smoke Works options. On a pit this big, I think having a "hotter zone" is advantageous. For most cooks, it won't be overloaded with meat so, I could pull the even temperatures out of the middle or put a tough cut of meat near the firebox or collector where it will catch more heat.

Moberg and Millscale are two other well respected names in pits like these but, to be honest, I don't think you would go wrong with any of them once you learn their "personality". There are a lot of lesser known builders who can and do build good propane tank pits and a few even do reverse flow models. To me though, the reverse flow pits really shine when we are talking about shorter cook chambers where the "floor space" lost to the firebox or collector stack really cut down on useful space for meat in most cases unless you have some tough cuts to put in those higher heat zones.