MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:20 PM   #31
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Have you talked to them? Feels like it’s been forever they’ve been saying a backyard model is coming
They put out fairly recently on their Instagram they have no plans in the works for a backyard model. I thought the plan was for you to get a Shirley vertical?

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #32
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Yet another vote for Johnson Smokers. Chad is a great guy and is so easy to work with. I haven't had a ton of offsets, but so far of all I've had my Johnson Smoker (Ultimate Chargrill Trailer) was easily the best of the lot. It held temps very well, and that cook chamber was extremely even. The top racks were about 15 degrees hotter than the bottom racks, but they were still dead even across the entire 60" of cooking space.

The double stacks work very well and it's so that smoke and heat are pulled evenly across the top and bottom racks. The removable and adjustable baffle pipe he uses is also super convenient and works shockingly well. It made cleaning the pit super easy and I was really shocked at how even the whole cooking surface was once I dialed things in. I also love his firebox design as it has large vents on both sides so you can get a good amount of air regardless of high winds / crosswinds.

During a hurricane a few years back in North Carolina I had that pit running almost constantly for 4 days. I was cooking for roughly 50 of the power grid workers who had pre-staged at a hotel on the Marine Corps base. These guys would go out all day and work on the power lines to get power back up and running, and each night I'd feed them some awesome BBQ. I had a propane smoker I was trying to use as well but it just wouldn't work in those high winds. My Johnson Smoker just flat out works and works well....it's also pretty easy on the eyes. I did sell it about 2 years ago though because my business had taken off and I outgrew it.

I've since moved to Texas and moved away from BBQ as a business. Once I get a house another Johnson Smoker will be my first purchase.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #33
Speeed
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Freak View Post
never had one and always wanted one .
Full disclosure...I've never had anything else.(stick burner wise)

I'm not a fan of the tuning plates the 24" LSG's use and I originally wanted a 24" but leveled with myself that it was more smoker than I needed.

As mentioned I really, really like my LSG and have zero desire to replace it but if I was looking again today I would have to look very hard at an Outlaw Smokers Patio

https://outlawpatio.com

Old 09-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #34
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

We always forget Jambo. Pretty reasonable $2800-$3500. We know you love your golf cart wheels and SS shelf.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2021, 03:39 PM   #35
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try a Myron Mixon H2O :

https://myronmixonsmokers.com/enthus...mokers/mms-48/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dhJPj0J9FlM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0z1LPeNWwWU

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-19-2021 at 03:53 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #36
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
We always forget Jambo. Pretty reasonable $2800-$3500. We know you love your golf cart wheels and SS shelf.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I love it but want a single door with the counter weight

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2021, 06:06 AM   #37
CameOutSmokin
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Michael

Fatstack smokers
Mad scientist has a video on his channel about the 2 new "backyard " models.
CameOutSmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 06:07 AM   #38
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
The Jambo is certainly a good pit but, to me, the small doors are a turn-off. Personally, I prefer a single door or single door with a counterweight unless we are looking at really large pits.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:20 AM   #39
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Freak View Post
Looking for a new stick burner and does not have to be a reverse flow but looking for something different . I like the looks of the Workhorse and wonder if yo guys can steer me with some other not so big pit builders ? Thanks
There are a lot of independent pit builders that can certainly make a classic or rustic pit that will work well.

At this point, I guess the question is what do you really want? Specific looks? A specific size? To promote an overlooked independent builder?

The Millscale 94-gallon model might be a good fit for you. Or a Primitive Pits "Babe".

With your experience and where you live, you probably know at least a half dozen relatively local builders that would custom build a great pit for you.

At this point, it might be worth trying something different like a gravity-fed smoker for a new and unique experience.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #40
FishinMusician
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
Full disclosure...I've never had anything else.(stick burner wise)

I'm not a fan of the tuning plates the 24" LSG's use and I originally wanted a 24" but leveled with myself that it was more smoker than I needed.

As mentioned I really, really like my LSG and have zero desire to replace it but if I was looking again today I would have to look very hard at an Outlaw Smokers Patio

https://outlawpatio.com

Looking at the LSG 20x42 really hard, along with Johnson and JJ reverse flows. Those 20s have a lot of room on them, and with the flow system they have on it you get to use it all pretty much, from what I've gathered.

Last edited by FishinMusician; 09-20-2021 at 08:23 AM..
FishinMusician is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #41
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameOutSmokin View Post
Fatstack smokers
Mad scientist has a video on his channel about the 2 new "backyard " models.
I checked out those backyard models by Fatstack....they look great, and the price is great, but holy hell the wait time. They're talking MAYBE by the end of 2022, but more likely sometime in 2023.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #42
Speeed
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinMusician View Post
Those 20s have a lot of room on them, and with the flow system they have on it you get to use it all pretty much, from what I've gathered.
This is accurate. I move things a few inches away from the firebox side but yes, for the most part the whole grate is usable.

Only regret I have...I wish I would have spent the extra $100 for the 42 inch.
Not that I have ran into space constraints with the the 36" its just the extra real estate would be nice.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #43
FishinMusician
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
This is accurate. I move things a few inches away from the firebox side but yes, for the most part the whole grate is usable.

Only regret I have...I wish I would have spent the extra $100 for the 42 inch.
Not that I have ran into space constraints with the the 36" its just the extra real estate would be nice.
Yah, I've already decided that if I go with LSG, though I'll rarely need that extra 6" in space, I'll go ahead and fork over the extra $100 for it. Not a bad deal.
FishinMusician is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #44
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinMusician View Post
Yah, I've already decided that if I go with LSG, though I'll rarely need that extra 6" in space, I'll go ahead and fork over the extra $100 for it. Not a bad deal.
I was looking at the 36 too and noticed only a $100 more i am going that route .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 03:35 PM   #45
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

I didn't read all the posts in this thread but did you and the Shirley fam have a falling out?
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote