MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Discussion and Reflection > Our Fallen Brother

Notices

Our Fallen Brother Brethren. The threads in this forum are in memory of a fallen brother. Please read what has transpired the week of 9/3/06 and say a prayer for KCquer and his family.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #76
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

As sad as it is to lose one that we love, we have the choice (based on our faith) as seeing death as a "bad" thing or, as some choose to do, view it as a time when our brother will feel no more pain, be with those who passed on before him and best of all, to stand and look into the face of our Lord and rejoice in all of His glory.

From this day forward, Heaven has a new BBQ'er and we will have to wonder until our day comes, "Are those really clouds in the sky OR smoke from one of God's finest, newest Angels, smoking away for all of his new Brethren?"

Rest in peace Brother and save me a place at the table.

Prayers and condolences to the family.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #77
Sylvie
Full Fledged Farker

It's at times like these that it is very hard to find the right words. I knew Scott only from his posts, but your words on this thread have helped me visualize a true friend and brother. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

Events like this re-affirm the need to live everyday to the fullest.
BWS Party G2
Two 18.5 inch WSMs, One 22.5 inch WSMs,
one 22.5 inch Blue One Touch Gold Kettle
Hot Pink Thermapen
20 ft custom BBQ trailer
Sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #78
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98

..........Like I posted in the Labor Day thread, it was pouring all morning, and pouring now. Someone up there gave me 5 hours to smoke on the kettle and reflect.

Thanks Scott................
Hey Bill, .............. Strange thing as well. I was cooking Sunday and I could not get over how easy it was to maintain my fire all day. I even mentioned to Charette that for some reason my smoker got to temp increadably fast and easy. The chambers were all at a nice 230º lower down - 200º higher up. Never got too hot or any fast dips for that matter. I did not have to burn much fuel and the time I had to add was relativly long. Smoke most of the time was perfect blue. I knew I never had an easier time in the past and kept wondering. I did`nt think deep into it then. ............ Now I am.
- Wally World / Turkey Fryer & Fish Basket
- Mini 14" Weber kettle
- Char-Broil Electric Vertical Smoker
- Little Chief Electric Fish Smoker x2
- Char-Broil Komander
Qczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #79
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
The Origins of "e"
Thanks for posting that, Bill. I had heard the story at the bash last fall, but a lot of the newer members weren't aware of the history.

There's so many great posts in this thread. Mista and JT, your memories of Scott in particular hit me hard since they characterized him and his love for our hobby so perfectly.

Thanks for sharing, guys!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #80
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qczar
Hey Bill, .............. Strange thing as well. I was cooking Sunday and I could not get over how easy it was to maintain my fire all day. I even mentioned to Charette that for some reason my smoker got to temp increadably fast and easy. The chambers were all at a nice 230º lower down - 200º higher up. Never got too hot or any fast dips for that matter. I did not have to burn much fuel and the time I had to add was relativly long. Smoke most of the time was perfect blue. I knew I never had an easier time in the past and kept wondering. I did`nt think deep into it then. ............ Now I am.
That is WEIRD! I made a comment to my wife on Sunday during our cook that I didn't seem to be using NEAR as much charcoal as I normally go through. AND when we got back from our neighbor's house where we had all gathered for dinner, some four hours after the last meat came off, the pit temp was STILL at 210. The Spicewine is good but it's never done that good before. I also got a lot better smoke ring on the brisket than I normally do...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #81
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

It was my pleasure Ron.

And QCzar, I left out one part of my cook.

While I was moping around the yard, reflecting on everything, talking and calling people, I started getting a bit depressed.

I was cooking, but then the thought came into my head that I probably wasn't going to eat it.

It was at that exact moment that "WHAP!", a farking yellow jacket tagged me in the neck.

Smacked it, ripped out the stinger, hurt like hell, and heard "e" laughing.

In his voice in my head: "Don't feel sorry for me brother, this will give you something else to think about. Now go eat"

It was the best damn ribs I ever cooked on the kettle. no lie.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #82
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My heart goes out to Scott's entire family and to each of you who were touched by his life. Unfortunately we never met face-to-face, but I am glad that I found the Brethren in time to call him my brother.

Late Friday/early Saturday, I was sitting outside under the canopy, watching the rain, watching the temps on my smoker, and doing some random searches through the site.

I don't know what I typed in, but I came across the same post The Kapn had mentioned a little bit ago (http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17085) and was thinking how proud Scott was of his grandkid and how nice it was to be able to share that with him, even if we were half a country away.

And fortunately those memories are here forever so that some other guy (or girl) has the chance to randomly type something into the search box and discover a posting from a proud grandpa sharing a picture of his greatest joy.
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #83
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Can someone get a small tribute forwarded to the KCBS and have it put in the BullSheet? Seems Scott deserved to be known to the rest of the BBQ world.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #84
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

Thoughts and prayers for his family Scott Will be missed
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #85
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker
Can someone get a small tribute forwarded to the KCBS and have it put in the BullSheet? Seems Scott deserved to be known to the rest of the BBQ world.

i am allready working on this.. Was on the phone Carolynn Wells this morning and will be sending in a tribute to the Bullsheet.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #86
offa1a
On the road to being a farker

A brother lost to us is one added in Heaven. God Bless Brother

-BKSD
- Ducane POS Gas grill
offa1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #87
chad

Thanks to Tim (Kapn) for finally getting hold of me yesterday...we were out of town and with all our kids...and to Phil and Bill for trying to contact me too.

Scott and I met at the Bash quite a few of the pics Phil posted are from...good memories. Seems he and I had crossed swords a few months prior to the Bash - so when we met we growled, sniffed each other's butt, and had a shot of Cabo - all was right in the world...I'll miss him, a lot.

I'll be in on PayPal but can't make the trip...as many have said, I'll be there in spirit.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.

Last edited by chad; 09-05-2006 at 01:36 PM..
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #88
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Thanks for sharing some stories and memories. My thoughts and prayers for him and family.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #89
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
That is WEIRD! I made a comment to my wife on Sunday during our cook that I didn't seem to be using NEAR as much charcoal as I normally go through. AND when we got back from our neighbor's house where we had all gathered for dinner, some four hours after the last meat came off, the pit temp was STILL at 210. The Spicewine is good but it's never done that good before. I also got a lot better smoke ring on the brisket than I normally do...
Sounds like the same experiance.

Everytime I put my beer down to take a look at my themometers, they read perfectly. Almost like they were frozen? I only added fuel when the fire box looked very low. When I did reload, no rise even. Sat back down and wondered who`s smoker is this ?????
- Wally World / Turkey Fryer & Fish Basket
- Mini 14" Weber kettle
- Char-Broil Electric Vertical Smoker
- Little Chief Electric Fish Smoker x2
- Char-Broil Komander

Last edited by Qczar; 09-05-2006 at 03:29 PM..
Qczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #90
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

So what is the story behind the turtles ?
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote