"Cast Iron!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through July 9th!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Cast Iron!"

rolf.jpg

This was rolf's winning entry in the 2010- "Cast Iron Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING:

thirdeye said:
I'd like the next TD theme to be "Cast Iron" You are to make a dish using cast iron cookware, which can include a griddle, Dutch Oven, skillet, etc, as long as it's made of cast iron. You could cook on a cast iron dish on a grill, in a smoker, or even over an open fire. You could also grill on cast iron grates, you could put a cast iron dish in the smoker to absorb smoky goodness, as long as your dish features grilled/smoked foods.
You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 6/22 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/9/18.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/9.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Official Entry:
The first picture is to document use of a CI Skillet and the second is the finished product.

***** Please delete my entry. I didn’t read the rules before submitting and must disqualify myself.

Last edited:
***Moderator's Note***

Folks, please take the time to read the rules before you enter one of our Throwdowns! They can be found here, and are very simple:

Throwdown Rules

The last two entries featured collage photos, which we don't allow for entry photos, which is WHY you need to specify which photo you want used for judging:

9. Only one picture from your entry can be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise the moderator will choose and the moderators decision is final. You are allowed to enter more than once but only one of your entries can be used in the voting thread (for example if you want to enter a second dish that will replace your first one). You must CLEARLY state which entry is the one you want to go to the vote thread. Otherwise the moderators will choose for you and that decision will be final. If the moderator did not choose the photo/entry you explicitly specified, please send the moderators a PM and we will do our best to correct the issue. Finally, NO collage photos are allowed as entry photos, no exceptions!

Thanks! :thumb:

My entry to the Cast Iron Throwdown: Beef Barbacoa

Thought I'd get the first one out of the way. Please accept this entry for the Cast Iron Throwdown.

The post that details this cook is here.

Please use this image for the contest:

LK6GGLO.jpg

Last edited:
If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn''t have any luck at all.

I used CI for a steak weeks ago, ahead of the TD.
I used CI for a steak yesterday, but didn't get a pic of the finished product.

I'll post the longer version later. It's humorous.

This is an entry!

Wagyu Brisket Smash Burgers with Havarti Cheese, Bacon, Caramelized Onions and Avocado Cream on a Grilled Portobella ‘Bun’

When we trim briskets for competitions we save the trimmings and when we get enough, we grind the trimmings and make burgers, meatloaf, tacos meat, etc. This time it was burgers! I seasoned the ground brisket with R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef Rub and divided it into 1/4 pound portions and put them onto a hot cast iron griddle on the Saber.

After giving them a couple of minutes to start to form a crust I smashed them into patties.

A couple of minutes later I flipped them. They had a great crust!

A couple of minutes later and another smash it was time to add some bacon (why not? :-D) and then a slice of Havarti cheese.

Once the cheese was melted and the edges started to get crispy I stacked the patties...

I used grilled portobella mushroom caps as a ‘bun’ for mine and added some fresh spinach, tomatoes, caramelized onions and an avocado cream sauce, and some fresh broccoli salad as a side.

Please use this as my entry picture!

Back