MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider18 View Post
Is Arnis backed up on new smokers? If so good for him, bad for you.
Yes, tried to buy a gently used one but, the seller took it off the market for some unplanned expenses that came up out his control.

Emailed Arnis and he said he wasn't taking deposits for future builds any more due to a huge backlog.

Great for him! Not so much for me.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I have a Humphrie's Pint. The weather never got into double digits Sunday and I had no problem holding heat. I used about 3/4 bag of lump and held the temp at 250 for at least 9 hours. I don't know what the weather is like in your area, but up here insulated smokers are a must.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #18
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

I'm in East Texas right now. 24F last night and I expect 19~20F tonight. Generally, we see a couple of brief periods of mid-20's a couple times a year with lows usually more in the low to mid 30's.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #19
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

No direct experience with any of these -- all I have is due to spending way too much time on this site and getting sucked into considering cookers I don't need and doing a ton of reading about them.

With that caveat away, when I looked into it a year ago or so I decided that I didn't really see the benefit of the gravity fed and would go IVC. Of those, Ironside and LSG were the two that stood out. I liked the idea that Ironside was designed to burn logs as an option and also liked the sizes they offered. LSG also seemed to stand out to me for the quality and the way the capacity was laid out. Based on where I live, Humphrey would also have to be on the list based on the ability to avoid shipping if I was willing to do a bit of driving but ignoring that, I would go with with one of the other two if I decided to go down the path of an insulated cabinet.

I'd really look at the dimensions of the options and see what fits with your capacity needs. I found quite a bit of variation and some manufacturers seemed to be a better fit for the capacity I'd want -- or at least better at a certain price point.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #20
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
I'm in East Texas right now. 24F last night and I expect 19~20F tonight. Generally, we see a couple of brief periods of mid-20's a couple times a year with lows usually more in the low to mid 30's.
This will not have any affect on any of these insulated cabinets.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #21
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
This will not have any affect on any of these insulated cabinets.
Agreed! If a WSM can do it, why wouldn't an IVC/GF! Whether 1" or 2" of insulation, it certainly is a lot better than relatively thin sheet steel. I'm really thinking more "low and slow" with an IVC/GF instead of "hotter and faster" on a WSM which is my main smoker right now. Being able to run overnight or stay inside when it is cold outside is attractive to me.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #22
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Agreed! If a WSM can do it, why wouldn't an IVC/GF! Whether 1" or 2" of insulation, it certainly is a lot better than relatively thin sheet steel. I'm really thinking more "low and slow" with an IVC/GF instead of "hotter and faster" on a WSM which is my main smoker right now. Being able to run overnight or stay inside when it is cold outside is attractive to me.
It’s one of the best things about them. I typically run mine at 300-325, but sometimes for timing I will run lower overnight. This passed weekend I did an overnight because I just wanted to have everything on cruise control until football started.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #23
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
With Evie Maes smokers not being available for purchase in the near future, I'm rethinking my mid-size cabinet smoker options.

Using lump or briquettes, what are the advantages and disadvantages of Gravity-fed or traditional insulated cabinet smokers?

I'm considering brands like Ironside, LSG, Myron Mixon, Assassin, TK, Humphrey's and similar makes. There are other brands out there worth consideration too such as Stumps that sort of get overlooked unless you live around them which is fair I guess, considering shipping expenses which is why I don't currently own a Humphrey's Weekender.
Wait, what's going on with Evie Mae's?

Edit - Nevermind I should have read through the thread. I noticed they did take the smoker listings off their webpage.

Last edited by Dustin Dorsey; 11-13-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #24
wbratt1
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweverett View Post
No direct experience with any of these -- all I have is due to spending way too much time on this site and getting sucked into considering cookers I don't need and doing a ton of reading about them.

With that caveat away, when I looked into it a year ago or so I decided that I didn't really see the benefit of the gravity fed and would go IVC. Of those, Ironside and LSG were the two that stood out. I liked the idea that Ironside was designed to burn logs as an option and also liked the sizes they offered. LSG also seemed to stand out to me for the quality and the way the capacity was laid out. Based on where I live, Humphrey would also have to be on the list based on the ability to avoid shipping if I was willing to do a bit of driving but ignoring that, I would go with with one of the other two if I decided to go down the path of an insulated cabinet.

I'd really look at the dimensions of the options and see what fits with your capacity needs. I found quite a bit of variation and some manufacturers seemed to be a better fit for the capacity I'd want -- or at least better at a certain price point.
That's funny - I could have written this exact response. Only difference is that my final 3 include Ironside, LSG, and T&K. I thought I was interested in GF for a while, but I'd prefer to set up charcoal/wood ratios at the onset (similar to my WSMs) than add wood throughout the first hours of a cook.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #25
boogiechillen
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

I ended up getting a cascade smoker since the builder is only a few hours away. I have had no regrets. I got the quedeville and use it all the time. I generally only use one of the shelves but have used two on occasion. Haven’t had to have the third one in there yet. Lots of great features that make it an easy and efficient smoker with lots of capacity.

If you have a builder within driving distance that makes a good ivc, I’d say go with that. I really liked picking mine up in person and talking to the builder for a while.

If you end up getting one shipped, I wouldn’t cross cascade smokers off your list unless you are against the reverse flow design.

I’d say the only downsides is it isn’t a stick burner if you ever want to do that and they aren’t cheap.
Weber Genesis
Weber Jumbo Joe
Homemade UDS
boogiechillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #26
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
Wait, what's going on with Evie Mae's?

Edit - Nevermind I should have read through the thread. I noticed they did take the smoker listings off their webpage.
I was ("tow fingers pinched together") this close to getting an Evie Mae smoker but, my timing was off by a week or two.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #27
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post

I’d say the only downsides is it isn’t a stick burner if you ever want to do that and they aren’t cheap.
For a stick burner, I'm really hoping I can score an Evie Mae model someday.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #28
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Assassin 24 gravity feed owner here.

Pro's:

-Holds spot-on temperature for as long as you have fuel with the supplied IQ120 controller

-Very well insulated. I can maintain whatever cook temp I need (usually 250-275) in single digit air temp

-Set and forget - get the coals started, plug in the IQ120, set the desired temp, and walk away. No need to tend the cooker

Cons:

-Heavy

-Bottom 2 racks run hotter than the top 2, but you plan for that and it's not really a problem.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #29
Dom Mazzetti
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
Assassin 24 gravity feed owner here.

Pro's:

-Holds spot-on temperature for as long as you have fuel with the supplied IQ120 controller

-Very well insulated. I can maintain whatever cook temp I need (usually 250-275) in single digit air temp

-Set and forget - get the coals started, plug in the IQ120, set the desired temp, and walk away. No need to tend the cooker

Cons:

-Heavy

-Bottom 2 racks run hotter than the top 2, but you plan for that and it's not really a problem.
Do you have any pictures of the 24 loaded up?
Dom Mazzetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #30
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Dom,

Not a pic of the full load, but here's a pic from a couple of years ago. You can only see the top rack open, but I had 9 racks on, cooking for a friend's baby shower.

Here's the cook chamber right after I received it and before seasoning:

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote