• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Which one and Why?

savagebrood

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am taking possession of a used BQ VDS medium. I already have someone trying to trade me out of it. They are offering a Myron Mixon 48” H2O. What would y’all do?

ceb73f7bf2cedf98349ba57fe3e7f7ac.jpg

938047bd4ecf3c41495f631546bc12b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like the height of the VDS and the simplicity. The Mixon smoker seems a little complicated, having to be hooked to a hose, but is intriguing.

If capacity is not an issue. Like mentioned, you can either burn coal/wood chunks unattended.
Or buy, chop/split, stack wood and also have more dirty water to deal with after a cook. If that is a problem.
The cabinet, you may have to rotate grates during a cook for true even cooking when loaded.
The Myron, you would move proteins on the grates. Instead of moving/rotating grates. Big difference when doing large cooks IMHO.
As far as burning wood using a water pan for steamed/smoked proteins and to help control temps. I have not seen any difference in how the proteins turn out in my vertical cabinet that I am able to do either. Coal/wood unattended. Or burn pure wood using a water pan.
Having to move the Myron when required, could be a deal breaker. Depends on what YOU want/need.

I am taking possession of a used BQ VDS medium. I already have someone trying to trade me out of it. They are offering a Myron Mixon 48” H2O. What would y’all do?

The first question I have is why? What is it they don't like about the Myron Mixon H2O smoker?

You asked for opinions, so here is mine... The Mixon in that size is for someone that knows exactly how they want to cook (wood, water, etc) and how much they want to cook. You are probably not going to fire it up for a couple of meals of Q during the week. The BQ is a lot more flexible , has an adequate capacity, and most likely, you would use it more often. So, in my opinion (and you asked), I would pass on the Mixon and enjoy your new toy.

So the BQ came today. I love it. I’m gonna keep it. I am currently running it empty just to get a feel for the ball valve. I’ve been able to hold it between 250-260 for several hours with no help from a fan. In other news, I did ribs on the stumps today and I thought they looked good together. Like a couple on a wedding cake. Thanks for all the good advice.

365a421f05b2afc9fc793bc8ff3600e7.jpg
cdb9cc84d81e99bab21d751123381a5b.jpg
0ca6c8d63415e236b9b2c320c4310385.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back