Sous Vide Brisket

I'm missing something here, I'm sure.

You smoke a brisket in an offset, a WSM, a pellet pooper, a gravity fed unit, a cabinet, a vertical, a UDS, or any Bandera imaginable in anything up to about 26hrs at the very most... mainly 8 to 16 hours, or in the hot and fast world, 4 to 5 hours and with that you get smoke, bark and tenderness.

If you SV a brisket it takes 36 hours and you get no smoke or bark unless you put it in a smoker where it would have been done already... not to mention blasting it with a weedburner.

How about you cut your losses on this and just SV a nice ribeye for a few hours and reverse sear it. This is much more "fit for purpose".

Now I'm not saying you shouldn't have a go... good on you for trying but it's just not adding up to me...

What am I missing? I know... I'm an Aussie. It's a problem sometimes. :p

This doesn't seem safe? At such a low cook temp and taking 48 hours to cook I would think OP would be at risk of toxins from the "Danger Zone". Once toxins are created, they are not destroyed by hot temps. I do not mean to be a downer, I just want everyone to be safe! Here is a link if anyone is interested in handling raw meats safely. If their is something I'm missing that makes this safe, please let me know, I'm generally curious about it.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/How_Temperatures_Affect_Food.pdf

This doesn't seem safe? At such a low cook temp and taking 48 hours to cook I would think OP would be at risk of toxins from the "Danger Zone". Once toxins are created, they are not destroyed by hot temps. I do not mean to be a downer, I just want everyone to be safe! Here is a link if anyone is interested in handling raw meats safely. If their is something I'm missing that makes this safe, please let me know, I'm generally curious about it.

Nope. It's safe. It's just not practical. Remember the surface temp is what kills the bacteria and even in a SV it's enough to do that. The meat itself only has bacteria on the surface, and if it doesn't it's rotten already so you'd never even start.

Cheers!

Nope. It's safe. It's just not practical. Remember the surface temp is what kills the bacteria and even in a SV it's enough to do that. The meat itself only has bacteria on the surface, and if it doesn't it's rotten already so you'd never even start.

Cheers!

Depends on your situation. I'm retired and love these experiments. No rush and very good results. I have never made better steaks than on the Sous Vide with flame thrower sear.

lacQel0.jpg

And this guy is the Master! Whole pig Sous Vide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGjgGJnrQEY

Cheers!

Everything except your first statement is incorrect. 130 F is enough to pasteurize meat all the way through, given enough time. The transfer of heat from water is way more efficient than transfer from air which allows the lower cook temps and still getting through the danger zone which is not really the simplified 40-140 in 4 hours.

Bacteria stops growing by 126 f and is killed slowly at temperatures above that. 130 degrees for a long enough hold is sufficient to pasteurize.

https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Safety

48 hours is a very long time to babysit the water level. I've shortened the time in sous vide by cooking brisquet at 150-160. Still lengthy at 36 hours minimum.

Use a lid.
I go 72 hours on chuck without adjusting water level.

Cheers!

Why is it not practical?
You put it in and leave it until you pull it out.

This doesn't seem safe? At such a low cook temp and taking 48 hours to cook I would think OP would be at risk of toxins from the "Danger Zone"... f
I had the same concern when I started with the SV. What I found is that the "danger zone" 40-140 paints with a pretty broad brush. I'm too lazy to chase it down now, but I found a time/temp chart that showed that lower temperatures for longer times were safe. Maybe you can find one of those.

Why is it not practical?
You put it in and leave it until you pull it out.

It doesn't seem practical to me because it takes so much longer for what appears to be an inferior result where you still have to do extra things to it to make it better. Maybe that's OK if you have superior planning abilities, but I can't plan to put on a brisket Thursday night for a Sunday lunch and then still have to buggerise around with it Sunday morning in any case to get it to taste good.

I suppose my free time is limited working 6 days a week at present.

Back