UDS/PBC Question

I hate to say it but maybe you should have built a UDS. :cry:

It's ok Bob nothing wrong with an improvement...besides you wouldn't even know from looking at the outside and it wouldn't be a permanent structure..haha

The PB wasn't designed to have a therm but folks still put Maverick probes in them. People make fixes to cookers all the time.

I hate to say it but maybe you should have built a UDS. :cry:

Nah, I didn't/don't have time plus I still like the 30 gallon size. AND I'm not saying I don't like the PBC. I still think some of what happened was my fault. I was mainly wanting to know the reason for more thicker smoke compared to my kettle. I think any off taste of the meat was from me. Having said that I just had a PP sandwich from my cook. It was delicious. For some reason I like the stuff I smoke better the next day. :crazy:

Even still though, I don't think it would hurt to have different options for different cooks. I've thought about putting a diffuser in the PBC just so I could sit a drip pan on it to catch drippings......just in case I wanted something different. Not talking about permanently modifying the PBC though. :thumb:

Nah, I didn't/don't have time plus I still like the 30 gallon size. AND I'm not saying I don't like the PBC. I still think some of what happened was my fault. I was mainly wanting to know the reason for more thicker smoke compared to my kettle. I think any off taste of the meat was from me. Having said that I just had a PP sandwich from my cook. It was delicious. For some reason I like the stuff I smoke better the next day. :crazy:

Even still though, I don't think it would hurt to have different options for different cooks. I've thought about putting a diffuser in the PBC just so I could sit a drip pan on it to catch drippings......just in case I wanted something different. Not talking about permanently modifying the PBC though. :thumb:[/QUOT

It's all good. I just smoked a fatty and I am much calmer.

I get white smoke from my PBC almost anytime I've got it loaded down with any kind of pork. Chicken, sausage, or beef not so much. There is just something about that pork fat apparently.

For the record, my UDS will do the same if I don't have a diffuser. 95% of the time I run it with my pizza pan or water bowl and don't have that problem but the other 5% with nothing, I get small amounts of white smoke.

I get white smoke from my PBC almost anytime I've got it loaded down with any kind of pork. Chicken, sausage, or beef not so much. There is just something about that pork fat apparently.

For the record, my UDS will do the same if I don't have a diffuser. 95% of the time I run it with my pizza pan or water bowl and don't have that problem but the other 5% with nothing, I get small amounts of white smoke.

Thanks! That's great information especially from someone who owns both a UDS and a PBC......not that they are really any different. I think the white smoke was confusing me a little but I believe that slight off taste of got in a couple parts of the meat was from over smoking. I'll cut back a little on the wood next time and I bet it'll turn out perfect! Thanks again :thumb:

I really think you'd appreciate a holy diffuser in between the meat and coals because you'll avoid some of the char and fat burn.

^^^ I might have used my UDS twice without a diffuser. I don't remember a smoke difference, but the temp swings were worse. I got a holey pizza pan about 7 inches above my basket. It catches so much fat it almost sounds like a hot flattop sizzling sometimes.
I use alot of applewood. If it's good and dry, I never get a bad smelling smoke off of it. I still let it thin out before I throw meat on it though.

^^^ I might have used my UDS twice without a diffuser. I don't remember a smoke difference, but the temp swings were worse. I got a holey pizza pan about 7 inches above my basket. It catches so much fat it almost sounds like a hot flattop sizzling sometimes.
I use alot of applewood. If it's good and dry, I never get a bad smelling smoke off of it. I still let it thin out before I throw meat on it though.

Good to know. I'll probably rig up something and try a diffuser just to see if it makes any difference for me. The PBC holds temps very well without one but what your said about the wood staying dry makes since along with the information fwismoker has provided.

Whatever I do will not be a permanent mod though. When/if I come up with something I'll post pics.

Thanks again! :thumb:

I bet I put too much wood in the basket. I used apple too. Thanks for the info.

A little less wood, and consider doing the ole foiling of the wood chunks trick (leaving one edge of the wodd exposed)...that aside, if it will fit - put the low grate in and use a perforated pizza pan for a semi-diffuser

have a pbc and a uds. ribs and chicken on the pbc (most excellent) -but I use the uds for anything/everything else. TBH-I don't finish a butt on my smoker- I get the color and smoke I want in 3 hours or so naked on the grate. Then plop it into a deep ss pan, foil the top and into a 350deg oven "until it's done". I catch all that piggy goodness in the pan, defat it and reincorporate it into the pulled pork (as needed). letting it ALL drip on to the coals seems wasteful :)

Back