Weber SmokeFire Pellet Grill Review

Based upon the review on Amazing Ribs, you have to use Weber branded pellets in order for the Smokefire to operate well. The other pellets are too big in diameter.

I was also really excited about the Smokefire. Love my 22” kettle. And the missus wanted a gas grill for weeknight quick cook sessions. Seriously considered being part of the first wave. One of the rare times where I demonstrated patience before purchasing a new toy!

I had high hopes, as well. I'm hoping they stick with it and perfect their design, if only to push innovation across the industry. By that point, however, I'll have already purchased my next pellet grill in hopes of it lasting several years.

Based upon the review on Amazing Ribs, you have to use Weber branded pellets in order for the Smokefire to operate well. The other pellets are too big in diameter.

I was also really excited about the Smokefire. Love my 22” kettle. And the missus wanted a gas grill for weeknight quick cook sessions. Seriously considered being part of the first wave. One of the rare times where I demonstrated patience before purchasing a new toy!

So these experts who have the self proclaimed only man in the world who makes his living reviewing grills, who loudly claimed other reviewers and consumers didn't know what they were doing...these guys were using Traeger pellets?

Not a chance. That is a poor excuse IMO. I'd think forcing people to use a Weber pellet to operate their grill properly would not be good for business.

The only problem I have had with pellets feeding were with Weber branded pellets.

The more I look at this grill, the more I see just a Weber Spirit that just runs on pellets. When I see it as that I don't hate it as much. It will work well as a grill, but be a headache going low and slow (in unmodified form). I think people were looking for a smoker that can grill, not the other way around. We wanted a true all in one. For the same price, I'd rather have a Weber gasser and seperate smoker, pellet or otherwise.

This....^^^^

I had some free time this past weekend and went to an ACE Hardware to see if I could check one out. I was considering selling my Yoder and going to this.....After looking at it, all I could think was man this feels and looks like a gas grill. It felt chincy to me.....Not at all what I'm wanting. I think I will be better off in the long run to upgrade my Yoder to 2-Pc diffuser, grill grates, and the new controller.

The design could be better and I think Weber botched the roll out. But I personally have had a couple grease flare ups on my Yoder cooking hamburgers. The fact is, that when you mix high heat with a lot of grease, the potential exists. I continue to wonder about all the posts I see of people running the WSF up to 600 and cooking stuff. I guess it's to see if it can really do it, but I personally have no need to run it up that high.

YMMV.......

Ed

Not to keep fueling the (Smoke)fire, but the Amazing Ribs review stated that other pellets even jammed their vacuum hose. This was after discussing the diameter of the pellets. The included picture clearly demonstrates pellets lodged in the vacuum hose due to length of the pellets. The diameter had nothing to do with it.

Weber may be completely right that their pellet augers work better with the thinner diameter pellets, but I don’t think that the vacuum hose picture proves that pellet feed issues are due to this one point. It certainly looks dramatic, but doesn’t prove their point in my estimation.

I think if you’re going to comment on other individuals opinions, you should be prepared to receive equal criticism without getting personal. Again, one persons opinion, but the response from Weber and Amazing Ribs seems like a textbook example of how NOT to address a PR/social media issue. Generally speaking, falling on your sword and acknowledging that individuals may be having issues with profuse words of reassurance that their best people are working on fixes (new pellet feeder attachment) would have served them infinitely better than their twitter videos and radio silence has.

Amazingribs coverage of the smokefire really makes me question all the other reviews on the site.

I'm not going to visit there anymore because I don't feel i'm being told the truth.

Amazingribs coverage of the smokefire really makes me question all the other reviews on the site.

I'm not going to visit there anymore because I don't feel i'm being told the truth.

I'd always used them as a source of truth for reviewing grills, but even looking at some of their platinum pellet grill recommendations, I'm not so sure. Even before the SmokeFire stuff, I found myself questioning how they consider the Camp Chef Woodwind just as good as the Mak smokers. I also remember reading their Bullseye review just after that product was released, and them complaining it didn't have PID, and not recommending it for that, among other reasons.

Their site was helpful years ago when it was one of only a few BBQ/grilling sites, but there are so many more sources nowadays that I hardly ever visit them anymore.

I still don't know what's going on with Meathead, but he seems to be having some kind of break with reality over the past few weeks.

Not to keep fueling the (Smoke)fire, but the Amazing Ribs review stated that other pellets even jammed their vacuum hose. This was after discussing the diameter of the pellets. The included picture clearly demonstrates pellets lodged in the vacuum hose due to length of the pellets. The diameter had nothing to do with it.

Weber may be completely right that their pellet augers work better with the thinner diameter pellets, but I don’t think that the vacuum hose picture proves that pellet feed issues are due to this one point. It certainly looks dramatic, but doesn’t prove their point in my estimation.

I think if you’re going to comment on other individuals opinions, you should be prepared to receive equal criticism without getting personal. Again, one persons opinion, but the response from Weber and Amazing Ribs seems like a textbook example of how NOT to address a PR/social media issue. Generally speaking, falling on your sword and acknowledging that individuals may be having issues with profuse words of reassurance that their best people are working on fixes (new pellet feeder attachment) would have served them infinitely better than their twitter videos and radio silence has.

Agreed, and I still can't figure out why Amazing Ribs is so dedicated to proving all the complainers wrong, and defending Weber's product.

The cynic in me says "follow the money".

They claim they do not take money from anybody.

But they do take grills and accessories. There's no doubt it's in their best interest not to tick off the biggest player in the market.

They claim they do not take money from anybody.

But they do take grills and accessories. There's no doubt it's in their best interest not to tick off the biggest player in the market.

IMO reviewers that secret squirrel purchase off the shelf items hold more weight than those that take review units and become beholden to the manufacturers for free loot.

IMO reviewers that secret squirrel purchase off the shelf items hold more weight than those that take review units and become beholden to the manufacturers for free loot.

They did claim in the review they purchased their SmokeFire.

They did claim in the review they purchased their SmokeFire.

That's interesting. I wonder what percentage of reviews mention how the reviewed item was obtained. When I looked at the Mak and BGE reviews I couldn't find a mention of whether they paid off the shelf, it was given to them or a UFO dropped it off.

I have watched the different videos from Harry and BBM.

Harry seems to be out to prove everybody wrong and stay on a good foot with Weber.
If you watch his Part 2 video closely, it becomes very clear why he didn't have a grease fire when he opens the grease drain. It's full of water/grease from his excessive spraying of the meat. He always uses water to spritz and I noticed he was spraying his meat a lot in the video, more than usual. So, all the water propably cleaned the bottom of his cooker.

https://youtu.be/jsUri_VoKag?t=2139

You just came up with a solution to the grease fires!!! Put small water nozzles on the left and right side of the smoker near the bottom to create a small stream of water to flush the grease and ash into the oil pan. Have it cycle on and off to flush everything out at regular intervals

I was at a Weber dealer today and saw my first Smoke Fire. Please accept my apologies if this has previously been posted. The pellet hopper (angle) was sealed with white caulk (both size grills) making it difficult to adjust. Nasty looking caulk job, curious if other folks had seen this. BTW, the grills were already marked down $200.00

I saw that also a week or so ago. Really left me scratching my head. I'm not a pellet guy but I don't get why the caulk was there in the first place. As noted above a very sloppy job - sad.

Last edited:
Back