THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RacrX

Full Fledged Farker
More like sold it for the Char-Griller...

I really loved that MB 560, great little grill/smoker, but really wanted a bigger one and when I saw the CG 980 come out, it seemed too good to pass up. Just sold the 560 today and bought the 980 - plus Lowes has free assembly and delivery, so that was a deal...I get it next weekend, will do a side-by-side comparo and post!

More like sold it for the Char-Griller...

I really loved that MB 560, great little grill/smoker, but really wanted a bigger one and when I saw the CG 980 come out, it seemed too good to pass up. Just sold the 560 today and bought the 980 - plus Lowes has free assembly and delivery, so that was a deal...I get it next weekend, will do a side-by-side comparo and post!

FYI…. I’ve been reading about several new CharGriller 980 GF Owners having had problems with the flap between the firebox and cook chamber. It’s a rubber flap that does not hold up very well to heat…. Especially if you’re planning on adding wood chunks to the ash bin. I would swap out the stock rubber flap for a high temp synthetic flap that’s made for stoves… but since you’re having Lowe’s assemble it for you, I guess that’s not possible. Keep an eye for it, especially if your smokers temp runs super high for no apparent reason.. If that does happen after your first few uses, then it’s a good chance the rubber air flap is the problem. Something to keep a watch out for and good luck with your new/future GF Grill.

FYI…. I’ve been reading about several new CharGriller 980 GF Owners having had problems with the flap between the firebox and cook chamber. It’s a rubber flap that does not hold up very well to heat…. Especially if you’re planning on adding wood chunks to the ash bin. I would swap out the stock rubber flap for a high temp synthetic flap that’s made for stoves… but since you’re having Lowe’s assemble it for you, I guess that’s not possible. Keep an eye for it, especially if your smokers temp runs super high for no apparent reason.. If that does happen after your first few uses, then it’s a good chance the rubber air flap is the problem. Something to keep a watch out for and good luck with your new/future GF Grill.

I know, I saw that too...the cabling that runs next to it was a big reason it was held open and letting air in, but I'll def keep an eye on it.

I know, I saw that too...the cabling that runs next to it was a big reason it was held open and letting air in, but I'll def keep an eye on it.

If I were bbqing in it low and slow and wanted to add a few wood chunks to the ash bin, I would place the wood chunks on the opposite side in the ash bin away from the rubber air flap opening, to help prevent a direct flame/fire from being on or near the rubber flap…. I would only add a few wood chunks to the ash bin and no large pieces either and I wouldn’t add any wood chunks to the ash bin at all, if I were bbqing at temps over 300* degrees. From what I’ve read, you’ll get better smoke production when you add the wood chunks to the charcoal hopper…. But the only way to truly find that out is by testing. FYI.. knowledge beforehand is the best way to prevent accidents and unnecessary problems. Hopefully, you won’t have to do any modifications to the ash bin air flap if these few preventative steps work. Good luck.

Congrats on the CharGriller

What did your MB560 sell for ? I'm thinkin about selling mine.

Congrats on the CG. I must admit the 560 does get cramped pretty quickly but, other than that have been very happy with it. Hope you enjoy the CG just as much

Did some more research on that rubber flap issue- man, how did they get so much right and miss that? I'm hoping it's not a mistake getting the CG over the MB 1050...thoughts from 1050 owners appreciated (esp if it cooks more evenly than the 560).

I was all in for the MB 1050 & then got sidetracked with a new home purchase. Now that I'm settled in I see the new CharGriller. I REALLY want one of these but with a pellet cooker on the deck I don't need something for low & slow, I need something for grilling. I'm curious to see your thoughts on how it grills?

On another not while I really love my kettle's Weber needs to wake up & finally give us a 26" Performer!

I sold my Weber SmokeFire and bought the MB1050. When I originally looked at the MB I looked at both 560 and 1050. I picked the 1050 because of build quality was far better than the 560. As far as size I’m the type to say bigger is better and have never said I wish I had bought the smaller one. Cooks very well and holds temp, I did replace the fisher price gauge with a tell true one. Now to be fair the CG was not out or I may have bought that because I like the barrel style cooker.

I've been curious about the 2nd gen Smokefire since I'm looking for more of a grill than smoker, looks like it does a good job at grilling.

I've been curious about the 2nd gen Smokefire since I'm looking for more of a grill than smoker, looks like it does a good job at grilling.

I did 2 11 hour briskets on my EX6 SF two weeks ago. Three days later, I reverse seared 2 tomahawk ribeyes, searing them at 600f You can't go wrong with the Smokefire Gen2 in my opinion

It’s here! Lowe’s seems to have done a really good job on the assembly, everything is tight and where it should be. Super excited to get the burn-in started.

adab1dac5b5ec77b35707f7d3446c82d.jpg

Getting ready for burn-in, I plugged up the end manifold hole with some foil- read about this, and I can definitely see how it would throw the pit temp off since it’s right below the probe. Just left a couple small holes at either end.

Also bent the two stops forward on the upper shelf bracket so I can slide the grate forward. It’s place way back on the pit, if you pull it forward a bit you can get another brisket up there:

44441c8f59aa62c244123b266f5e48ea.jpg

Here’s where it sits as designed:

6b5ec351582c756dad2d4545f854cfdf.jpg

Also noticed a nice little detail you don’t find on the MB, this metal cap that slides closed around the probes on the port:

d5f88944ab2bd99cb523f4bf21a4acc3.jpg

Temp probes in place to do a check while I’m doing the initial burn, ready to light her up!

398072e395fb17301dc5a0301ee2baf7.jpg

Fired her up, started really easy with very little smoke leakage once it was settled in- some from the top corners of the chute and almost nothing from the lid.

Here’s what the Inkbird says (1-3/L to R) when the smoker said 145 after the first 20 minutes:

b19c6c1a92cd3968b72e844fdfe3c61a.jpg

35 minutes into the burn and the pit reads 350. Hmm, so much for the even temps theory with this manifold.

b8f0481fc60571a269ce9469ac0f775f.jpg

Back