MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
Little Pig Barbeque
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jesse Robinson
Default Spatchcock Chicken

I did a spatchcock chicken video that I think turned out pretty good. One of my favorite ways to cook whole chickens. The Weber Summit Charcoal Grill was a beast as always. Check it out if you're interested. If you are, please consider subscribing.

How many of you all like to cook chickens this way? It definately saves some time.

https://youtu.be/DOQ2gZEuwNo

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Little Pig Barbeque is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 05-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

I like to spend an extra 2 seconds with an extra cut and cut the bird it half.. I will freeze half birds for later use. I think the presentation and the ability to move them around in halves is alot better than spatchcocking

Old 05-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #3
Little Pig Barbeque

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
I like to spend an extra 2 seconds with an extra cut and cut the bird it half.. I will freeze half birds for later use. I think the presentation and the ability to move them around in halves is alot better than spatchcocking
That's not a bad idea. I may have to start cutting mine in half and freezing if the price of meat doesn't quit climbing! We usually only eat about half the bird in one sitting at my house anyway.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pig Barbeque View Post
That's not a bad idea. I may have to start cutting mine in half and freezing if the price of meat doesn't quit climbing! We usually only eat about half the bird in one sitting at my house anyway.

Well I was specifically speaking about cooking both halves then freezing one.. Makes good chicken salad, or other things like that for something quick :D

Old 05-31-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
rickatwoodme
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Smoky Bark~Bark BBQ

always spatchcocked birds; even before I got into barbecue. so much easier, and I find a much more even cook usually. yours looked great!

CBBQA. KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
IG: @smokybarkbarkbbq
rickatwoodme is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #6
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Nicely done! I like spatchcocking my chicken also.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
GammaRei
Full Fledged Farker

I think that you can do great with your videos, your audio could use some work. I think that your current set up with your kitchen is whats causing the echo/tunnel effect.

- G
GammaRei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
Little Pig Barbeque

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaRei View Post
I think that you can do great with your videos, your audio could use some work. I think that your current set up with your kitchen is whats causing the echo/tunnel effect.

- G
I would really like to get a lavalier microphone. That would take away some of the echo I think.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
Greygoose
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Don

Great job on the chicken,,,,,the only way to go
Also, nice job doin’ the vid
Greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
MattGoose
Full Fledged Farker

Any guidance on time and temp?

I did my first spatchcocked chicken last night and it was pretty darn bad. It was far from the best setup - had a small (5lb?) Purdue roaster that was about to kick over so I cut and up and threw it on.

Ran it at 375, but had the internal temp probe in a bad spot, so I think I overcooked the heck out of it.

Whole chickens are like 20/lb plus 20 - but these are a lot, lot faster. Any starting guidelines?
MattGoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 11:54 PM   #12
Little Pig Barbeque

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
Any guidance on time and temp?

I did my first spatchcocked chicken last night and it was pretty darn bad. It was far from the best setup - had a small (5lb?) Purdue roaster that was about to kick over so I cut and up and threw it on.

Ran it at 375, but had the internal temp probe in a bad spot, so I think I overcooked the heck out of it.

Whole chickens are like 20/lb plus 20 - but these are a lot, lot faster. Any starting guidelines?
I usually cook 5-7lb birds at around 300-325 degrees. For that size and temp, it usually takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.

Probe placement is key. Make sure it is in the middle of the thickest part of the breast. Pull it off at 165 and you should be golden.

Don't be afraid to try it again. I can assure you, we have all ruined plenty of food trying something new. You'll get it!

Old 06-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
MattGoose
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pig Barbeque View Post
I usually cook 5-7lb birds at around 300-325 degrees. For that size and temp, it usually takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.

Probe placement is key. Make sure it is in the middle of the thickest part of the breast. Pull it off at 165 and you should be golden.

Don't be afraid to try it again. I can assure you, we have all ruined plenty of food trying something new. You'll get it!

Thanks for the input - in addition to hosing up the probe placement, I think I was running way too hot.

Can't wait to try again - and will actually follow a recipe this time. Would love to be able to knock this off for dinner easily.
MattGoose is offline   Reply With Quote