• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Recent competition outcome

Rib bonez

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Sort of stumped here and hoping someone could shed some light on it for me. Performed in a backyard comp and was not pleased with the results. Ribs were of poor quality and slightly undercooked so i understand those scores. My chicken was the best it’s been but still scored all over the board and results were way low in rankings. Any advice on rubs / sauces? Think mine had a bit much heat/pepper. Noticed the fellow next to me used meat church honey hog and gospel rubs in conjunction with blues hog orig sauce straight from the bottle. Seems that would be sickening sweet but he performed well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how sweet the meat church rubs are, but I'd agree the straight blues hog would seem a bit overly sweet. BUT with all that being said, tenderness is really where it's at. If they chicken was not at the right tenderness, the taste won't help.

The Slabs Bird and Bones with Swamp Boys straight out of the jar is good on chicken. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

I had a brisket like that a couple months ago. Judges comment cards said it was too spicy. Next comp, I changed my flavor profile. Not spicy but had just enough back end heat (pepper). I got 2nd place in brisket. I finally had to realize that I'm not cooking for my taste buds, but for the judges. I just wish more judges would leave comment cards.

I had a brisket like that a couple months ago. Judges comment cards said it was too spicy. Next comp, I changed my flavor profile. Not spicy but had just enough back end heat (pepper). I got 2nd place in brisket. I finally had to realize that I'm not cooking for my taste buds, but for the judges. I just wish more judges would leave comment cards.

It seems like comment cards should be required. How will you know what to work on if you don't get feedback?

I was the same in my last backyard comp. The chicken was my best comp chicken ever but placed 9th out of 12 teams. I feel that once you find a profile that you like, become consistent with it and hope that you get the right table that day.

Maybe we need to first know if those backyard judges are KCBS judges or just some folks the organizer knew, it could make a difference.

Overdone beats undercooked any day.....

I think this is where a lot of us are stumped. I am trying to figure out what flavor profile wins. I have spent the past two years honing my processes so that I can turn out consistent Q that is tender and looks good.. Now, with tenderness and appearance down, I am looking to experiment with flavors. Sorry I am no help, but I empathize.

Unsure on if the judges were KCBS or clowns off the street. Also frustrating as they had no comment cards.

That's the price you must pay for going backyard contests. Clowns on the left of me Mayors on the right.. Lately I've been doing more backyard judging with the Iowa BBQ Society. Seems like a lot less whining and the teams seem more fresh and interested in the process. You will not see comment cards at a backyard, they just don't do it.
Ed

Go with proven rub/sauce combos and work on the other things first. Nailing Appearance gives you the benefit of the doubt on Taste and Tenderness. Nailing Tenderness gives you the benefit of the doubt on Taste.

As far as a good starting point, ITBFQ had a good recommendation. I'd suggest Smokin' Guns Hot and Blues Hog Comp Blend. You aren't going to offend anybody with those flavors.

Lastly, you stated that scores were all over the board. Perhaps, your pieces of chicken were inconsistent. The issue might be in your process. Make sure the pieces are the same size and are rotated around in the pit so they cook evenly.

I know your initial question was about rubs and sauces but pictures might help.

At the last event I judged we were told to make a comment card only in extreme circumstances. I like to make comments when I get something good.

You aren't going to offend anybody with those flavors.

This needs to be your focus....Find your flavor profile that doesn't give anything to complain about. Won't be too hot, wont be too sweet, etc. Then get good at cooking that way every single time and don't stray from that. Cook YOUR Que...

I can tell you that our scores improved dramatically with Blues Hog sauce.

With this said, you never know what judge is going to be having a bad day. We've had (and I'm positive everybody else who competes) has had the old "5 good scores and one awful one" scenario and you drive home cursing judge #657 at table 12 the whole way home. That's just comp BBQ.

There are a number of quality rubs and sauces you can use. If you aren’t using at least a little Blues Hog original in some fashion, you’re doing yourself a disservice. Doesn’t have to be straight up, but it’s THE best place to start. As others said, overcooked beats undercooked every time and I would say err on the side of sweeter flavor vs. less sweet.

I'm too old to travel and compete anymore, but I can share what I learned as a former team member.

You have to remember that you are not cooking for yourself, but for someone else who may have a different taste palette. While it may taste great for you, we are all individuals with different likes.

Also keep in mind that the judges are not eating a meal, nor the whole piece of chicken, they are simply taking a single bite. You have to "wow" them with flavor, texture, and tenderness in a single bite. Trying to get all three items at the top of your game can be a "crap shoot" at best. You don't know the judges preferences and they may never tell you it's too sweet, to spicy, or too tough.

On top of that; the previous entry before you will have an impact on your bite of food. Someone before you that goes over the top on all three items, places your entry at a disadvantage until their taste buds level out.

All you can do is to try your best and keep notes.

Try injecting to improve tenderness before you cook.

Remember a good rub not only enhances flavor, but also adds some color.

As far as flavors, use a bold flavored rub and a bold flavored sauce: remember you have to wow them with one single bite. I agree with "esasnidx"; the fact if you aren't using a competition sauce like Blues Hog in some type of a blend is important. But you aren't limited to just Blues Hog, there are many; Craig's, Head Country, Bob Gibson, ect.

Maybe one you should consider is the New Competition Sauce by Yes Dear. I have been using a Blues Hog blend for years, even at home, but after trying the new Yes Dear Competition Sauce, my blending days are over.....

Great taste, great color, and a wonderful sheen on the meat every time.

Good luck in your next competition and keep us posted.

When you are competing in backyard, you need to cook what the local Mayor likes... Usually the local town folk who judge, like fall off the bone, and sweet tasting chicken... It's why it is backyard and not a sanctioned event..

Back