MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
BriGreentea
On the road to being a farker

Unhappy Brisket shredded

Last week I decided to do an overnight brisket cook which I've done a few times though get little sleep.

I decided to go with fat side down on my WSM which tried before and turned out great. That one was about an 8 hour cook...6 hours then wrapped in butcher paper for 2 hours more or less then rested for an hour.

This one I went 10 hours and wrapped for 2 hours. I've done a 12 hour cook a couple times and turned out perfect but those were fat side down.
After an hour and a half on my cutting board still wrapped in the paper temp dropped to about 170-180 and took it out, flipped it over and noticed the grain was starting to pull apart. The bark was extremely hard and I could not cut the flat across the grain and even my sharp straight blade couldn't cut it so it just sliced with the grain and still shredded.

Is it because the long time of the cook along with the heat coming up did this to my brisket? I know the last time I did a long cook for 10 plus hours fat side up I sprayed the bark to keep it soft before wrapping it in the paper but never did it again.

I guess I should not smoke another one fat side up? Give up on smoking it too long? Rest it for even longer?
BriGreentea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I see lots of mention of times here, but nothing really about temp...at what temp did you wrap it and at what temp did you pull it from the smoker?

It sounds like you overcooked it based on your description. While the probe test should be your ultimate guide, internal temp can be a good indicator of when you're approaching done-ness....definitely don't ever cook to a specific time/duration though. If they came out well before "cooking for 8 hours" you probably just got lucky.

Last edited by sudsandswine; 11-19-2018 at 10:03 AM..
sudsandswine is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I’ve always done fat up on my WSM and had no problems. The heat is a very good question to ask.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

The shredding part is cooking too long. If the bark was as hard as you said, then your heat may have been hitting too directly and burned the bark. I had that happen with my UDS, when I didnt flip the brisket and had my temp around 290 or so. Bark was crisp.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds overcooked. What temp was it when you pulled it?

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would agree with the others, if your brisket is shredding, you have probably over-cooked it.

Keep in mind that no two briskets are alike. Even if you find two identical briskets, they will cook differently due to the difference in animals. Then if you try to compare previous cooks with this one, you have differences in outside temperature and humidity which can slightly alter your cook times.

As BluDawg says "You can not cook your brisket to a specific temperature and or a given period of time and call it done!!!!"

Every piece of meat is different, so cooking by temperature or by time alone should not be your method of determining when the meat is done.

Probing a brisket for being done isn't difficult if you don't overthink the process.

There is no special or magic probe to use, just pick one type of probe and stick with it. I use a bamboo skewer to test for being done.

It really isn't a matter of a specific type of probe to use for testing, but more of a matter of experience with a successful cook, that one understands what they are looking for in terms of feel. Once you get one right you'll know.

To put it into words, some say "it's like a hot knife into butter". I tend to disagree, simply because there is a slight bit of resistance when you probe. As another Brethren put it; "I would say it's more similar to the feel of probing a ripe alvacado after the skin is pierced".

Just a slight resistance as it smoothly pushes into the brisket.

Probe the point to practice for that probe tender feeling. When you get close to that with the thickest part of the flat it's ready.

https://youtu.be/t9UILZf0obk
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.