MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
bksmoke
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Best smoke book

hi all and thanks for welcoming into the fraternity

questions. of all the smoking books out there claiming to be the best, what would be the general consensus amongst the brethren to purchase? i want to avoid having to buy several...

many thanks
bksmoke

ps. i noticed lots of different forum threads and simply chose the top one. if this is not the right place to post these kinds of questions, please advise. ty
pps. do i have to check back here for responses or will i get an email notification should someone respond?
bksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

here some free ones to start with..

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/

Old 05-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

I just recently purchased these two books off amazon.

They both provide great recipes and good background stories of it all. I am not sure what everybody else thinks about it, but I thought they were interesting reads and gave some good quality recipes to start your bbq journey with.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
VeRTiGo91
On the road to being a farker

I got these exact two books for Christmas from my in-laws. Definitely great reading. I've been looking more at Big Bob Gibson's book, but both are chock full of recipes and ideas!

Old 05-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Welcome!

I was looking at some Kindle version of books on smoking, and I read the intro to Myron Mixon's book. Is he arrogant? Yup. Does he talk smack? Yup. Can he back it up? YUP YUP YUP.

If I were going to buy a book, it would be his. Seems to me that if you want Donald Trump's money, you should learn from Donald.

That being said, there's enough wisdom in these forums to make you a great smoker (for free). Lurk. Ask questions. Build a UDS. Find a CL Score. Make some ABTs. Burn a Fatty. Have fun.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksmoke View Post
pps. do i have to check back here for responses or will i get an email notification should someone respond?
You have to check back.

My local library has every bbq book you could imagine (and pretty much every other book in existence) and my absolute favorites are Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang and Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book by Chris Lilly.

The Dr BBQ and Myron Mixon books weren't bad either, but the first two are my absolute favorite.

Sadly, my local library does not have wicked good bbq, but I've heard its great. Also, I haven't gotten around to Paul Kirk's book or Peace Love and BBQ, but those are on my list.

There is a single copy of Serious Barbecue on Amazon for $28 at the moment- someone here should jump on it. Won't last long.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 05-01-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I don't need it b/c the library has it, but if someone on here doesn't get it soon then I might snag it for myself.

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ71147830

Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

x2 on Wicked Good, I also recommend this one:

Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses

Oh and "Welocme" aboard !
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksmoke View Post
I think if you subscribe to the thread you can choose email notification.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it depends on your level of expertise and if your looking for recipes, techniques, bbq history, dining locations, comp's or backyard? If you're looking for a book to help in comp's keep your money. None of them are going to come close to a class, mentor or experience. Most will give you the basics but not enough to come close to winning. That's just reality, no one is going to give you what you need to win for $19.95. If you're just starting out and want to learn the basics there are a ton of great references online (esp here). If you really want a book then pick one that will best fit your style whether it's hot/fast, low/slow or regional tastes. JMHO...

Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quick!! Grab the $28 used Serious BBQ here.

That's a bargain these days.

Peace, Love, & BBQ is one of my favs.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you looking for recipes and a how-to sort of book to get started with I assume?

APL's "Serious BBQ" is a great read and also has many recipes. He really does a great job laying out the basics and an interesting read.

Steve Raichlen's "How To Grill" got me started with grilling and smoking a long time ago. He lays it out real nicely too. Makes it easy to follow.

Raichlene's "BBQ USA" has a CHITLOAD of recipes. Fantastic one that.

I also have "Wicked Good BBQ". Also fantastic for recipes. Very well put together book.

ALSO....Paul Kirk's "Championship BBQ" is hard to beat.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Mad About Que
On the road to being a farker

if you're looking for recipes try www.google.com seriously. or the search on places like this. as for books, I like the history of stuff. smokestack lightening is a good read. but I have two goto books on my shelf here. Myrons new one (which he signed - "don't burn that sh*t up", and Mike Mills 'Peace, Love and BBQ'. great books. myrons is basically a verbal version of the class at his house, but with different recipes than what he hands out.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #14
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

I would go with Big Bob Gibsons BBQ Book and APLs Serious Barbecue.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

As a backyard cook, I really like the Big Bob Gibson book. I have not made anything yet from there that wasn't good. The herb chicken qtrs are a family favorite. I have Myrons book and I want to go to his class, but what I made seemed off a little. I have heard not to trust the proportions in there. I want to go to his class and find out. I have Wicked Good and Mike Mills book and enjoyed reading them too. Have not made enough from either to have an opinion yet.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, smoke