MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Default SAMs Club Meat Dept. Helpful

Went by SAMs today to pick up a brisket. I was looking for one about 15 lb to smoke for Thanksgiving at my parents Thursday evening.

They only had 5 or 6 packers out and they were all small so I rang the bell and a young man came out to help. I told him I was looking for something larger and he went in the back and opened 3 cases trying to find larger packers. He came out with 7 or 8 packers but he found only one large one and it was 16 lb. I checked it out and the flat was very stiff. I thanked him for his effort and said I was hoping he would have several to choose from as I liked to pick out one with a flexible flat (I know, I know......I felt bad to even mention this point since he was so helpful). The young man asks, "Would a prime brisket work better?". Me: Do you have one? I've bought them here before but haven't seen one since July. He says they don't have one but did a couple weeks back and could order more.

He gets his manager and they are ordering a case of prime brisket......even though I only want 2 of them. Ordered at lunch and they should be at the store ready to pickup early Wed. morning.

Can't beat that.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
phil c
Full Fledged Farker

I've had similar expeiences with Sams meats. The guys there are always very helpfull.
phil c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

I had about the same thing happen to me last week. I was needing 4 pork butts and when I rang the bell and told the guy what I was looking for he opened 4 cases looking for the biggest butts he could find ended up with 4 butt weighing in at 39.25 pounds.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Buy the butts by the case (8 pcs) and get the discounted case price.

They have always have been helpful for us as well.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Same type of experience for me as well with Sam's.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

That's good to know. Ours has good selection usually, but once in a while are a little lacking.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I have had good customer service at Sams. We had a Costco open up this weekend in town. Wondering if its worth the membership since im already a Sams member and have had no complaints about thier products or service.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have those kind of stores locally. When I want something, the store in town can have it the next day, usually.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
I have had good customer service at Sams. We had a Costco open up this weekend in town. Wondering if its worth the membership since im already a Sams member and have had no complaints about thier products or service.
All of these stores SAM's Club, Costco, BJ's have their own strong and weak points. I have memberships to all 3 because not only am I near them, but there is always one of them near my travels to pick-up supplies. I can even order the cases before I arrive when I get to town they can be picked up.

Costco has higher quality meats at higher prices - you get what you pay for.

BJ's carries bone in butts in cases, the other sell boneless butts.

Sam's has a good meat selection and a large spice selection.

Just because it is a "wholesale club" doesn't mean it's a great price, do your homework before you shop.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Costco has higher quality meats at higher prices - you get what you pay for.

BJ's carries bone in butts in cases, the other sell boneless butts.

Sam's has a good meat selection and a large spice selection.

Just because it is a "wholesale club" doesn't mean it's a great price, do your homework before you shop.

My local SAMs sells bone in butt......never seen boneless butt in this SAMs. They also have prime grade meats intermittently and will order prime on request (see above). Good prices as well.
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree that the SAMs meat department rocks. I've been dealing with them for a few years now and the guys will bend over backwards to get you what you need.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Missed-Em
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Waitin'

Sam's is under construction now, can't wait -- Going to be an expensive first trip when it opens!
Missed-Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

YOu get packers at your Sam's? Man, ours only carries the flats.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Bet you $5 that they will start ordering the packers if you ask.

They will always do something 1 or 2 times. If they lose on the deal, then they stop. A case is always a safe bet.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote