logo

Day late turkey came out good.

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We made our belated Thanksgivings turkey this morning and decided to make it plain and simple with just olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper because I like my turkey to taste like turkey. I put some butter under the skin to keep it buttery and help the skin from being rubbery. Cooked in the Danial Boone at 275°f until the breast hit temp. Came out pretty good. The skin wasn’t rubbery and came out perfect as far as I’m concerned. The skin was what you would expect at an old fashioned thanksgiving turkey dinner. My wife wanted the skin potato chip crispy, which I hate, so only one of us was happy with the skin. I used this video as a guide since she was making exactly what I wanted to make, and it did give me the results I was looking for. https://youtu.be/2b0n-Ys6Vkw

Fresh 15 lb. butterball

Spatchcocked with butter under skin and olive oil, salt and a little pepper on the outside of the skin. (the wife don’t like lots of pepper or I would have put more)

After 4 hours at 275 the turkey was at temp.

A lot of work for a lunch for 2.

Plenty of leftovers. We only ate half of a breast and some thigh.

Last edited:
It looks good. I really like the sprouts. Next year, rake that cranberry off and add a couple more sprouts. Just kidding.... not. :)

It looks good. I really like the sprouts. Next year, rake that cranberry off and add a couple more sprouts. Just kidding.... not. :)

LOL!

I grew up eating canned cranberry so I actually prefer it from a can. My wife gets the canned cranberry for me. I don’t even think she had any.

Kind of like the way a lot of people including myself think the cheap 50¢ packs of Carl Buddig makes the best SOS because that’s the brand a lot of us ate growing up.

Last edited:
LOL!

I grew up eating canned cranberry so I actually prefer it from a can. My wife gets the canned cranberry for me. I don’t even think she had any.

Kind of like the way a lot of people including myself think the cheap 50¢ packs of Carl Buddig makes the best SOS because that’s the brand a lot of us ate growing up.

I grew up eating lots of pinto (we call 'em red) beans, cabbage, etc. I *thought* we liked it. Now I know we were just poor. Still love it all. Keep the traditions going, sir, keep 'em going.

Back