• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

This years turkey on the WSM

bigpernz

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This was the biggest one I've done on my 18" WSM at 17lb. I used only charcoal and no wood so it didnt get the color I usually get but it was delicious nonetheless. I dry brined it overnight it was very flavorful. Keep the lid cracked a lot of the time to keep the temp over 300 as it was windy and cold. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!
eaf7a57e60598815ce59dbcc92d0a8c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That looks great. Congrats on a successful bird!

I did three 8-9 lb breasts on my WSM 22.5 this year. I did them pretty much the same way you did. All charcoal, no wood (don't like smoke flavor on turkey). And I kept the lid cracked just a tiny bit, which worked well. Temp stayed between 330 and 350 most of the time, which resulted in great crispy skin. In the past I've had problems with the temp zooming out of control when I cracked the lid, but it didn't happen this time. I guess I found just the right amount of crack.

Nice looking bird. Never crossed my mind to not use wood on the WSM for turkey. might have to try that one

That looks great. Congrats on a successful bird!

I did three 8-9 lb breasts on my WSM 22.5 this year. I did them pretty much the same way you did. All charcoal, no wood (don't like smoke flavor on turkey). And I kept the lid cracked just a tiny bit, which worked well. Temp stayed between 330 and 350 most of the time, which resulted in great crispy skin. In the past I've had problems with the temp zooming out of control when I cracked the lid, but it didn't happen this time. I guess I found just the right amount of crack.

How did you guys manage to keep the temps down so good..I tired using my rotisserie on my WSM 22. Temps were good for awhile then they got away from me. This always happens when I use the rotisserie and have to open the lid.

Thanks DanB
PS I did use lump and no wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_162804175.jpg
    IMG_20201129_162804175.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 39
How did you guys manage to keep the temps down so good..I tired using my rotisserie on my WSM 22. Temps were good for awhile then they got away from me. This always happens when I use the rotisserie and have to open the lid.

Thanks DanB
PS I did use lump and no wood.

Maybe your rotisserie ring just let's a lot of air in? I usually dont have trouble keeping mine in the 350 range and keeping it there but this time it was a struggle. I even had to add another chimney of lit coals halfway through which I've never done before. I did use some off brand charcoal (trail embers I think?) that had been in my garage forever so who knows..

Back