MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Default Smoked Ox Tail

Anybody have experience with this?

I usually cook it in a stew but I bought whole tails and was wondering if a long smoke would tenderize the tough meat and flavor them nicely.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not sure. I haven't cooked them since they became so expensive.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Cut those up and cook them with some butter beans. Really good stuff!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarry View Post
Anybody have experience with this?

I usually cook it in a stew but I bought whole tails and was wondering if a long smoke would tenderize the tough meat and flavor them nicely.
As a general rule, any meat that benefits from stewing or braising will also benefit from cooking low-and-slow in smoke.
The ox tail is a prime example-it is one of the strongest, most used muscle groups in a steer. So it stands to reason that it will react like other highly used muscles [brisket, shoulder, etc].

I have smoked ox-tail before and it works great. Due to the high percentage of bone and gristle, it is hard to go by internal temp. Just keep it low and slow and go by touch, and, probe the meaty parts.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

I love Oxtail soup and making it with smoked Oxtail might add something, I think you have something there!!!

Over here Ox Tails are cheap but you have to get them from a proper butcher.

A fav recipe (from the BBC website) for Oxtail.....

Slow-cooked Hereford oxtail with stout, prunes and horseradish mash

Ingredients
For the marinade
4 tsp coarsely ground black peppercorns
2 tsp Maldon sea salt
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp thyme leaves
4 cloves garlic, peeled
6 tbsp soft brown sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
For the oxtail
115g/4oz unsalted butter
3 tbsp olive oil
6 x 5cm/2in pieces of oxtail, about 1.5kg/3lb 5oz in total
3 onions, finely sliced
½ tbsp chopped sage
14 prunes, pits removed
6 tinned anchovy fillets, cut in half lengthways
500ml/17fl oz Young's luxury double chocolate stout or equivalent beer
450ml/16fl oz chicken stock
4 pickled walnuts, quartered
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 sheets caul fat (available from traditional butchers)
For the roast vegetables
12 baby onions, peeled
12 baby carrots, trimmed
12 button mushrooms
12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 tsp aged vinegar (eg balsamic)
2 tbsp chopped parsley
For the horseradish mash
1kg/2¼lb floury potatoes, peeled and chopped
115g/4oz unsalted butter
6 tbsp strong horseradish cream
225ml/8fl oz hot milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
To serve
small Brussels sprouts, blanched until tender

Method
1. To make the marinade, blend the peppercorns, salt, herbs, garlic and sugar in a food processor, then gradually add the oil and vinegar.
2. Rub the oxtail with the marinade, then leave to marinate in a cool place for at least 3 hours or, ideally, overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
4. For the oxtail, wipe off the marinade and retain. Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil and a third of the butter in a flameproof casserole. Add the oxtail and fry until brown all over. Remove and set aside. Add another tablespoon of oil and a third of butter to the pot and heat gently until foaming, then add the onions and chopped sage. Allow the onions to cook over a gentle heat until caramelised. This will take about 20 minutes. Add ten of the prunes and all the anchovies.
5. Return the oxtail to the pot and add the reserved marinade, the stout and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Cover the casserole and transfer to the oven to cook for about 3 hours or until the meat is very tender and almost falling off the bone. Allow to cool.
6. Remove the oxtail from the pot and set aside. Increase the oven temperature to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
7. Pour all the pan juices and onions into a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a clean saucepan and add the pickled walnuts. Cook until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Remove 4 tablespoons of the sauce to a large bowl and allow to cool. Set the pan of sauce aside, to reheat for serving.
8. Remove the oxtail meat from the bone, shred it with two forks and place in the bowl with the sauce. Season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper and divide into four equal amounts. Form into burger shapes.
9. Lay the four sheets of caul fat on a work surface and place an oxtail burger in the centre of each one. Make an indentation in each burger and push in a prune, enclosing it in the oxtail, then wrap the burgers in the caul.
10. Fry the parcels in a non-stick frying pan until lightly golden all over. Place the oxtail parcels in a roasting tray with the baby onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic. Add the remaining oil and butter. Set over a moderate heat and shake the pan to brown the vegetables all over. Place the roasting tray into the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
11. Meanwhile, make the horseradish mash. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and pass through a potato ricer into a bowl.
12. Add the butter, horseradish cream and half the milk and stir to combine. Add the remaining milk if the mash is too stiff. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Keep warm.
13. Remove the oxtail parcels and keep warm. Add the vinegar and parsley to the vegetables and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
14. Serve the oxtail with the roast vegetables, a little sauce, the horseradish mash and the sprouts alongside.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

I think Emeril cooks with them alot...

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

I will give them a nice Willie rub tomorrow. Keep you posted.......
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
qman
Babbling Farker

Carbon Toe, that recipe sounds great. A little fussy and cheffy, but good.
I saved it to try[with smoked oxtail, of course]

BadboyBBQ-I think you are right about Emeril. Oxtail is one of the most flavor-dense cuts of beef. Lots of chefs use them[and beef cheeks, etc] when making stock or or for braising cause you can extract so much flavor.

One of my favorite ways with ox-tail is to use it in a long slow braise like you would lamb shanks or veal shanks [osso buco mod]