MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #61
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
its pretty much been said. I applaud them for putting it on...thats tough....

This is not backseat driving but A couple of ideas came to mind....have 84 teams....have a cut after the first day of a full kcbs cook....then thirty 36 teams cooking a secondday to see who gets the table...

A nice touch would have been to have announced where you stood after first day...little drama added

The parking lot and bathrooms were pretty funky....the payout a little better for such a big contest...1 in 82 chance of moving forward.
I agree, I'm not trying to slam them at ALL... I bet this was probably one of the HARDEST competitions to put on, with all the unions in play, and the logistics of it all, including the celebrity judges...
The organizers had an uphill battle for SURE!
I'm just saying that this missed the mark... hopefully it will be better next year, but if it's like this again next year, I DOUBT (never say never) I'll attend again...

Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #62
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like they would be best served to drop BBQ as a category next year since it seemed to be the most problematic.
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #63
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

The experience for us was pretty enjoyable, great meeting new people and being able to compete along side such quality teams. The downside for us was we decided to ship our equipment out. Here's where it gets interesting. The round trip from Michigan of 4000 miles by truck to the Expo Center warehouse in Vegas cost us just under $500.00. The trip from the warehouse in vegas to the contest site and back, probably less than 5 miles cost us just under $1000.00. Yes, those numbers are correct. Don't think we will be doing that again.
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #64
Razoo BBQ
Found some matches.

Weve had numerous ties with other teams before and i understand that, its that we have the same score in ribs(163 .4286) and pork(163 .4286) that is highly unlikely. The burnt finger team has the exact same score in 3 catagories- ribs, brisket and sauce (169 .7142 for each)
Since the total is carried out to the ten thousandth the odds of repeating that in your OWN scores is high even in vegas.

Ice Harbor Brewing
Razoo BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #65
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo BBQ View Post
Weve had numerous ties with other teams before and i understand that, its that we have the same score in ribs(163 .4286) and pork(163 .4286) that is highly unlikely. The burnt finger team has the exact same score in 3 catagories- ribs, brisket and sauce (169 .7142 for each)
Since the total is carried out to the ten thousandth the odds of repeating that in your OWN scores is high even in vegas.

Ice Harbor Brewing
Interesting... sounds like an error...

Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #66
route66
Knows what a fatty is.

I have to say to pull off this event was a huge undertaking and given the first year they did a great job. I had the opportunity to talk with many of the Chefs, Sandwich Cooks, Hamburger Competitors, Potato Salad Cooks and BBQ Teams and the only complaints I heard were from my fellow BBQ Teams. While it was not a perfect event I have to applaud the organizers for what did go well and have great hopes it will happen again with a few tweaks. While I embarrassed myself with my scores I have to admit the competition was one of the best I have been to and very entertaining watching how other competitions transpired. I saw a fellow BBQ’er competing in the sandwich category and after the event he told me it was the most fun he had had in competition and hopes he has the chance next year, (in the sandwich cookoff). I tip my hat to the organizers for a job well done.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #67
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Rogers View Post
Interesting... sounds like an error...
I have my score sheet in front of me right now, and I can assure you it's not an error. We have different scores across all judges in each category, but they just happen to sum to the same overall scores. I agree that it's unlikely, but it's definitely possible.
BurntFinger_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #68
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls View Post
Sounds like they would be best served to drop BBQ as a category next year since it seemed to be the most problematic.
Based on the comments from the event staff, including Mike from MMA, BBQ was the least of his headaches. The judging in the other categories that didn't utilize KCBS judges was inconsistent at best.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #69
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

When is this contest going to be on TV?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #70
Razoo BBQ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntFinger_Jason View Post
I have my score sheet in front of me right now, and I can assure you it's not an error. We have different scores across all judges in each category, but they just happen to sum to the same overall scores. I agree that it's unlikely, but it's definitely possible.
This sounds good Jason........Can you tell me where I can get a copy of the six judges individual score sheets for us in each category?

Ice Harbor Brewing
Razoo BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #71
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
When is this contest going to be on TV?
I haven't heard, if I hear anything I will let everyone know.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #72
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo BBQ View Post
This sounds good Jason........Can you tell me where I can get a copy of the six judges individual score sheets for us in each category?

Ice Harbor Brewing
They had them available at the judges tent that evening. I picked mine up when I was walking back to our site after awards.
BurntFinger_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #73
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Same thing, got ours at the judges tent that night.
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #74
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Lots of great photos and a full recap coming soon to Grilling.com
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #75
DCFIREMANN
On the road to being a farker

Wow just saw this thread. We drove form "THE JACK" to Vegas pulling a 14k trailer. Once we got there set up was a breeze. I have to say WE HAD A BLAST!!!! I know there were a few problems but this contest was huge. We got caught up in a few issues but worked through them. The team got slam dunked in BBQ with what we thought was one of our best turn ins for the year. But you know how that goes. The good news is we finished 1st in the Reesers Potato Salad Challenge and 2nd in the side dish category. So the trip was a good one for us. We have an auto invite for next year and we will be going. But next year we will take out 16ft enclosed trailer instead of the fifth wheel. I would much rather stay in a hotel anyday. Not to mention the savings in fuel!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
1- JR ENTERPRISES 60-23
1 SOUTHERN PRIDE BBR-79
1 SOUTHERN PRIDE SPK-500
WEBER RANCH KETTLE
2-WEBER 26.75 GOLD KETTLES

The DC Fire Department Firefighting BBQ Team!
DCFIREMANN is offline   Reply With Quote