MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

Default Just Can't Eat Commercial Sauce Anymore

I've been making my own sauce using all natural ingredients for the past couple of years and friends and family rave about it.

Anyway, I'm staying at a Hotel where they had a Manager's Reception this evening. They had Pizza and Beer along with Ribs and Wings from a local place. Not much of a Pizza person, I grabbed some wings and ribs with a side of sauce. They weren't bad, but the sauce has left a film in my mouth that may take 8-10 Beers to get out.

Anyone else have that problem?
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Eight to ten beers doesn't pose a problem for me, as long as I don't have to drive.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Jason TQ

Hmmmmm. A problem being solved with 8-10 beers. Sound like you may end up winning .

But all joking aside I make sauce pretty much for all my larger cooks though I still have a few commercial favorites on hand too for when I don't feel like making it. Some are obviously better than others.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

It's the kern suurp! Makes eerrr-ting filmy!!!
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Yep I have the same problem and agree with PimpSmoke, a lot of sauce including pizza have preservatives in them that upset my stomach and act as caffeine and keep me up.

8 to 10 beers I got no problem with!!!!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
jestridge

I also had homemade sauce that taste like crap . Just because it homemade doesn't make it good
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Rocco05
Knows what a fatty is.

Home-made anything is usually better than store bought. Although, sometimes while experimenting with proportions in home made sauces, I've made some pretty nasty ones. I just don't serve them to anyone and I keep trying until I get them right.
Rocco05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

I think the smaller commercial sauce makers have the opportunity to make a very good product. There are a few here on the forum that stick out in my mind. But the massive brands where the 1st or second ingredient is corn syrup, corn syrup solids, etc. are best left on the shelf.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpig View Post
...the sauce has left a film in my mouth that may take 8-10 Beers to get out.

It's not a problem, it's an opportunity.

Send some of that sauce my way will ya? And include 8-10 beers too.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
web G2K
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
Yep I have the same problem and agree with PimpSmoke, a lot of sauce including pizza have preservatives in them that upset my stomach and act as caffeine and keep me up.

8 to 10 beers I got no problem with!!!!

Yeah the beer is pretty effective against the caffeine effect also ;)

I have found that as I get further into the whole foods diet the more proccessed food messes me up.

Aside from not tasting quite right I tend to get cramps and indigestion and major heart burn. And thats just the family friendly list lol.

Fast food is a major no no now days, why pay stupid money for some skimpy greasy chain burger when I can slap a pattie on the grill and have more for less and still be eating better?
web G2K is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke View Post
It's the kern suurp! Makes eerrr-ting filmy!!!
Yup. Corn is in pretty much everything commercial, and corn syrup is cheap sweetener, and something I never even think of using for home cooking.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
SmokeOCD
is one Smokin' Farker

Funny if you think about it. As we (Brethren) evolve - we are less adaptable and when the apocalypse hits - we're screwed! The bud light/macncheese/twinkie eaters are the ones that are going to survive.
SmokeOCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
AO
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm going on about three months without buying any commercial sauce, I made one batch myself and have been trying to perfect my recipe ever since. Waiting for my home grown tomatoes to come in then I'm really going to take this sauce making to another level.
AO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

I've made a couple dozen different homemade bbq sauces over the years and then I came to my senses. After a while, everything just started to taste the same. I mean, there are only so many bases you can start with such as ketchup, tomato sauce or apple cider vinegar and sooner than later every different sauce you make tastes like the one before it. That's just my take on things. Now I just leave the sauce making to much better men and women. High fructose corn syrup or not. If it's tasty I'll buy it.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpig View Post
I've been making my own sauce using all natural ingredients for the past couple of years and friends and family rave about it.

Anyway, I'm staying at a Hotel where they had a Manager's Reception this evening. They had Pizza and Beer along with Ribs and Wings from a local place. Not much of a Pizza person, I grabbed some wings and ribs with a side of sauce. They weren't bad, but the sauce has left a film in my mouth that may take 8-10 Beers to get out.

Yes!!!!!

I do all my own rubs and sauces.

I also hate commercial salad dressings.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote