• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BWS Competitor

P

Pbeyda

help needed, I have a recently purchased BWS Competitor with a 25cfm BBQ guru, I have problems cooking hot and fast, I cannot get temp above 275 (best case). I appreciate any thoughts. I am using water (usually boiled before filling)...using cowboy characol, my guru is in back left. I start fire in back left. I have pulled heat deflector, but that just boils water faster...need some advice. thanks in advance.

try cooking without water and put a couple foil pans to catch the drippings before they hit the water pan... I dont cook on one, but that is my best guess...

I agree. Go dry. The water isn't going to get above 212 so it's holding your temp down.

Is the temp displaying the same on both the dial thermometer and the guru?

your going to need more lit charcoal.
try 2 full chimney's going to need a roaring fire to get that hot with the water inside.

Huh I have a BWS Compeditor myself and have no problem at all. I use a mix of Kingford and rowal oak.

I also have a Competitor and the "no water" suggestion will work. I found this out accidentally the first time I cooked with no water...the temp was at about 325F and still climbing before I finally turned it around! :shock: You can use some fire-brick in the water pan and, as someone else mentioned, put some pans or foil in to catch the drippings.

Def. no water will do the trick. Otherwise start with hot/boiling water and 2 chimneys.

At any rate, hot and fast cooking + water is a touch combination.

And if none of the above works, try getting up to temp before attaching the Guru. Give it an hour or so to get up to temp.

Should be no problem go with briquettes I have had my Pro Comp hog up to 325 with water very easily. Get her up to about 175 before you add your water also.

Back