MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Advanced prep question

Hey y'all. I have a fairly rookie question, I know, but would be grateful for your input. I'm smoking a brisket a several racks of ribs tomorrow along with chicken, sausage, ABTs and, of course, MOINK balls. My friends and physical therapists are coming to help me build my own parallel bars at home, and I don't want to spend much time prepping the meat tomorrow - so, I am going to trim tonight. My question is this: Do any of you guys apply your rubs the night before and happy with the results? I normally apply rub just an hour or two before meat goes on the smoker. My biggest worry about prepping 12 hours early is that the salt in the rubs will make the pork taste "hammy." TIA

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Ill do my ribs and pork overnight but not beef. If your worried applying rubs only takes a second. Trimming takes a little more time
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've applied rubs the night before, though as Jrogers84 said, applying the seasoning takes relatively little time. I usually avoid doing it to ribs since the meat is so much more thin, but briskets and butts, I never really notice a difference one way or the other other aside from not having to apply the rub just before hitting the cooker.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
chambersuac

Applying rubs doesn't take y'all long??? Weird. I usually put mine on 2-3 grains at a time -and one ingredient at a time, so I can make sure the ratio is exact. Usually takes 2-3 hours per brisket. Isn't that normal?

Yeah, OK. I AM joking. You're right about it only taking a short time, but prefer to pre-rub tonight, if the quality won't be downgraded. Tomorrow morning, I want to get started early and also let my wife sleep in, as it's her only day to do so. The less time I spend doing stuff inside, the better her chances are of her getting rest.

Thanks

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]

Old 09-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

I like to apply the rubs while the pit is warming up. To me, overnight rubs turn into a soupy mess, with lots of liquid left in the pan.

I want that moisture in the meat when I cook it.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I never put rub on the night before. Too much rub gets wiped off pulling the saran wrap off the meat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2019, 02:31 AM   #7
chambersuac

Thanks, y'all.