MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #856
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Question or those who have a unit with flame/sear zone. As I see most have some sort of charcoal grill also. What are you more likely to fire up for burgers or a steak pellet or charcoal?

I'm starting to think I want something the excels at grilling also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I prefer to reverse sear on the MAK so Steaks, Tri Tip, thick cut Chops and things like that go on the MAK, Burgers I usually do on the Weber because they're pretty messy with all the grease, unless seasoning them with Carne Crosta, feel the flavor profile of the rub is better on the PG. Chicken parts get done on the Weber with the Vortex.

Most of the time I'm only cooking for 2 to 4 people so I only pull the front cover to the flame zone and leave the rear plate on cooking indirect on the top shelf over it for reverse sears. Foiling the FZ also helps with cleanup, I just use a pencil to poke holes where needed on the FZ.
I would have to agree with Kevin. I normally use the Yoder for the reverse sear. Just makes things too easy. If I am just doing a couple burgers, or sausages, the Yoder gets the call. If I am grilling enough, to make it worth firing up the charcoal, I will go weber. The Yoder cleans up pretty good with a small shop vac. If you grill a lot of greasy things on it, grease will get in the lower chamber, and make a mess. You have to scrape the greasy ashes out with a scraper. If you are super picky about your grill, you would probably hate it. If you understand a grill isn't going to be spotless, you will be fine. As you cook, the ashes will mix with the grease, and kind of act like oil dry. Last time I vacuumed it out, it was down to bare metal.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #857
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Question or those who have a unit with flame/sear zone. As I see most have some sort of charcoal grill also. What are you more likely to fire up for burgers or a steak pellet or charcoal?

I'm starting to think I want something the excels at grilling also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I prefer to reverse sear on the MAK so Steaks, Tri Tip, thick cut Chops and things like that go on the MAK, Burgers I usually do on the Weber because they're pretty messy with all the grease, unless seasoning them with Carne Crosta, feel the flavor profile of the rub is better on the PG. Chicken parts get done on the Weber with the Vortex.

Most of the time I'm only cooking for 2 to 4 people so I only pull the front cover to the flame zone and leave the rear plate on cooking indirect on the top shelf over it for reverse sears. Foiling the FZ also helps with cleanup, I just use a pencil to poke holes where needed on the FZ.
I would have to agree with Kevin. I normally use the Yoder for the reverse sear. Just makes things too easy. If I am just doing a couple burgers, or sausages, the Yoder gets the call. If I am grilling enough, to make it worth firing up the charcoal, I will go weber. The Yoder cleans up pretty good with a small shop vac. If you grill a lot of greasy things on it, grease will get in the lower chamber, and make a mess. You have to scrape the greasy ashes out with a scraper. If you are super picky about your grill, you would probably hate it. If you understand a grill isn't going to be spotless, you will be fine. As you cook, the ashes will mix with the grease, and kind of act like oil dry. Last time I vacuumed it out, it was down to bare metal.

I can get crispy skin chicken, without using the direct grill. Just crank heat to 400, and cook it. Just as good as if it had been done on the vortex.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #858
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb
Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
For people who like a heavy duty pellet smoker.
https://pittsandspitts.com/pellet-grills/

7 and 10 gauge 304 gauge stainless steel maverick 1250. That had to be expensive to build. It’s toward the bottom.

You know what’s been kind of interesting to watch... being that Pitts and Spitts pellet grills are fairly new AND being that there are more and more owners on their FB fan page, I am seeing a number of guys report that with the colder weather the grills are not coming up to temp quick enough... to the point the controller thinks there is a flame out and shuts down (I think I have that correct). My point being, I think this ultra thick steel on a pellet cooker can be a double edged sword as it’s a LOT of steel to heat every time you fire up the cooker. Just my opinion, but I think you actually get better performance on a pellet grill with a thinner gauge of steel... or of course an insulated cooking chamber.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #859
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
You know what’s been kind of interesting to watch... being that Pitts and Spitts pellet grills are fairly new AND being that there are more and more owners on their FB fan page, I am seeing a number of guys report that with the colder weather the grills are not coming up to temp quick enough... to the point the controller thinks there is a flame out and shuts down (I think I have that correct). My point being, I think this ultra thick steel on a pellet cooker can be a double edged sword as it’s a LOT of steel to heat every time you fire up the cooker. Just my opinion, but I think you actually get better performance on a pellet grill with a thinner gauge of steel... or of course an insulated cooking chamber.
That’s a good point. That may be why Yoder pellet smokers use more fuel too despite the thicker steel

Old 11-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #860
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I agree 100%. Too many manufacturers just hanging a pellet hopper on the side of a grill that was designed to be used with charcoal or wood splits and calling it their new pellet grill. I would stick with a product that from the onset was designed to be used with pellets. Can you imagine how long a Pitts & Spits, Gator, etc. would take to come up to temperature with a full load of cold food?
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #861
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
That’s a good point. That may be why Yoder pellet smokers use more fuel too despite the thicker steel
I have used my Yoder in sub zero temps, with no issues. Normally uses between 1.25 to 2 lbs an hour. I would say it is a controller issue on the Pitts and Spitts, not the thickness of the steel.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #862
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
If their controller has P settings they might need to adjust them to make it run hotter.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #863
Dly4
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250 and have cooked in pretty cold weather (40s) with no issue. I’ll report back when I use it in colder temps. Sure, it used more pellets, but it uses a lot of pellets even when it’s warm. I didn’t buy a $2,000 grill to get cheap on fuel. I mean, that’s a bit like buying a Chevelle SS and complaining about gas mileage.
Dly4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #864
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dly4 View Post
I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250 and have cooked in pretty cold weather (40s) with no issue. I’ll report back when I use it in colder temps. Sure, it used more pellets, but it uses a lot of pellets even when it’s warm. I didn’t buy a $2,000 grill to get cheap on fuel. I mean, that’s a bit like buying a Chevelle SS and complaining about gas mileage.
How well does it sear?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #865
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJxpL9PfSzw

Louisiana estate series. Never seen this one before.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #866
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJxpL9PfSzw

Louisiana estate series. Never seen this one before.
Nice looking grill. $2,500.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #867
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Chuck roasts were excellent! I’m liking the bark that no wrap creates. Smoke flavor is really good. I’m finding that as long as I keep fan speed at 60% smoke production and flavor will be good (smoke to 245 deg) . I don’t see a point is using smoke mode now unless if I am doing jerky. I’ll mpre than likely smoke at 245 deg from now on.

Last edited by BKING!; 12-28-2018 at 04:56 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #868
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Nice chuck! Love chuck more than brisket. I especially like it sliced. I'm going to have to try it no wrap.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #869
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dly4 View Post
I didn’t buy a $2,000 grill to get cheap on fuel.
High performance and low pellet use are not mutually exclusive.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #870
Dly4
Knows what a fatty is.

They’re not mutually exclusive, but when buying an expensive toy, fuel consumption just isn’t a consideration for me. There are many fantastic pellet grills that are much cheaper, and if I was worried about fuel cost, I would have bought one of them.
Dly4 is offline   Reply With Quote