Double Smoked Spiral Ham - Easy

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was tasked by my wife to prepare a smoked ham for her holiday potluck at work. I did Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham before, but I wanted to experiment and use a simpler recipe this time. I settled on this rub/glaze mix:

1.25 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Beaver Brand Honey Mustard
1/4 tsp clove, cinnamon, nugmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 Cup Bourbon
2 cans pineapple slices & juice

I used a 9.8lb spiral ham from Walmart - $1.99/lb. Ham is placed cut side down on a baking rack in a foil pan. I pinned the pineapple slices all other the ham and brushed it with pineapple juice. I gave a light dusting with John Henry's Pecan rub just for the heck of it. The main rub/glaze will go on for the last hour of smoking.

I set my GMG Davy Crockett for 250 degrees and in it went for 1.5 hours. After 1.5 hours, I increased the temp to 275 for another hour. The 9.8lb ham barely fit in the DC. Here's the ham in the smoker:

At the 2.5 hour mark, I increased the temp to 300 degrees and removed the ham and brought it inside to apply the rub/glaze. Carefully remove the pineapple slices and set aside. Mix all the ingredients above (except the pineapple slices & juice), mix well and make a paste. Add a little pineapple juice to the paste to get a consistency so you can use a silicone brush to apply the rub. Apply liberally and then carefully put the pineapple slices back on. Brush some more rub over the pineapple slices. Put back in the smoker for an hour, brush again with rub at 30 minutes if you want (I didn't). I pulled the ham after an hour. Total cooking time was 3.5 hours. It came out great and I'm told it was a big hit at the potluck. Here's the ham just before I pulled it from the smoker. I tried a small piece before I foiled it to transport and yeah, it was pretty dang good!

I'd rather have a double smoked spiral cut ham on the holidays than a turkey. I love those hams. Good looking glaze recipe also.

Back