What to Ask For When Ordering Wood For Stick Burner

jerryalan

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get my first stick burner in a couple of months and want to start shopping my area for a source of wood. Is there anything specific I should ask about when I order? I know that the wood should be seasoned, and someone told me that I should ask for a face cord because it's seasoned more evenly. I live on a small lot so a face cord is probably the right amount for me, maybe even half of that to start. I'm in Minnesota so I'll likely be getting oak and maybe some apple.

A “face cord” is simply a unit of measurement. I believe it’s a stack 4’x8’x16” deep...basically a single row of splits.

I’ve found that everyone claims their wood is “seasoned” but it often is not and is quite obviously freshly cut. Wood sitting in a pile on the ground isn’t making anyone money, and some people want their money right away vs sitting on it for a year or whatever.

A “face cord” is simply a unit of measurement. I believe it’s a stack 4’x8’x16” deep...basically a single row of splits.

I’ve found that everyone claims their wood is “seasoned” but it often is not and is quite obviously freshly cut. Wood sitting in a pile on the ground isn’t making anyone money, and some people want their money right away vs sitting on it for a year or whatever.

I'll watch for that, thank you! I see you have a Shirley. I'm hoping to place an order for their new 24x36 soon!

Ask for "clean" also. Wood that has been sitting on the ground can be muddy/dirty. You can also ask for a mixed quantity such as oak and hickory, pecan and apple.

Depending the size of your cooker you may want to see if they have different size splits. Backyard size smokers "pizza oven" size splits seem to be a good size if the wood supplier has that available.

Depending the size of your cooker you may want to see if they have different size splits. Backyard size smokers "pizza oven" size splits seem to be a good size if the wood supplier has that available.

I have one of those Kindling Crackers coming and own a radial arm saw so resizing won't be a problem but my body would appreciate it more if it were already the right size :-D

I have been fighting finding a good supplier of wood. Here is what I suggest:

- Search google for local firewood
- Find 4 suppliers that look reputable
- Contact each of them via phone and talk to them about your needs. Specifically that you intend on cooking with the wood.
- Arrange to purchase 10-20 pieces from each.
- Do test burns to see if it works as advertised.

Hopefully after that you will find a supplier that can deliver what you ask for, at a price you are willing to pay.

Good luck.

Query "firewood for smoking" on Craigslist for sources. Also tree removal services, though with them you will need to split and season it yourself.

I have been fighting finding a good supplier of wood. Here is what I suggest:

- Search google for local firewood
- Find 4 suppliers that look reputable
- Contact each of them via phone and talk to them about your needs. Specifically that you intend on cooking with the wood.
- Arrange to purchase 10-20 pieces from each.
- Do test burns to see if it works as advertised.

Hopefully after that you will find a supplier that can deliver what you ask for, at a price you are willing to pay.

Good luck.

Sounds like an excellent way to source wood to season the smoker when it arrives!

A cord is 4' x 4' x 8' = 128 cubic feet.

A face cord is generally the same thing as a rick and in most cases would be any stack of wood that is 8' long and 4' high or any equivalent that has 32 square feet.

The amount of wood in a rick or face cord will depend on how long the pieces are. If the length of each stick is 16", then a rick or face cord would = 1/3 cord. If the pieces were 24" long, then a rick or face cord would = 1/2 cord.

Check into Full Cord VS: Face Cord of wood.
You can spread it around if you get creative at your stacking. And it will give you more choices so you can pick the more seasoned wood from your rick's.
You want hardwoods. Maple is probably more common in Minn.

And don't let nobody sell you a pick-up truck as a cord. It ain't.
A cord of wood is too damn heavy for a PU truck to haul.
So don't be bamboozled by some honyok telling you his 1/2 ton step-side has a cord of wood on it.

And lastly, since nobody appears to have mentioned it....
A Cord of wood is stacked so a squirrel can get through it, but not the cat chasing the squirrel.
That way it can readily dry out. :thumb::heh:

I found mine on Craigslist from a fellow smoker who also cuts trees. Has it all separated by type in split sizes. Sells it by the paper box.

Follow pretty much what everyone else already said. And you’ll be surprised how long wood lasts in a cooker. A cord may last a few years to where it may go to overseasoned. I got about 7 paper boxes of wood and have been smoking almost nonstop and I’m about 2/3 of the way thru it.

I use a local guy who supplies restaurants I found online as well as various Craigslist folks... I always go look and inspect before buying any and usually buy small 1st time with a supplier (test burns essentially, as above post notes). I always bring a moisture reader to test moisture content %. =~ seasoned. <20% good to try, <10% too dry. Wacking 2 splits together makes different sounds depending on moisture, but that is a developed skill to differentiate... I find different wood (oak vs Apple vs maple etc) likes different moisture content, and of course how they work in your cooker is all that really matters.

1/4 cord of something you know you like will last a long while for general weekend recreational use...

And the kindling kracker is a game changer. Get one.

Good luck!!!

Thanks everyone! Honestly, I got way more info than I anticipated so I'm happy I asked. With your info I'll be a wood connoisseur before my first purchase :nerd:

Back