Bretheren Poll Slicing Brisket for Competition

Granny's Gang Barbeque

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Wanted to take a quick survey. When slicing brisket flat for a Turn In box, do you:
A: Slice the brisket perpendicular to the cutting board, providing a narrow slice of brisket.

or

B: Slice the brisket on a bias, providing a wider slice of brisket.

On a recent practice cook, I sliced on the bias. I was extremely pleased with the appearance of the wider slices.

I can't answer as anything more than a home backyard cook, I always slice straight up and down. As a CBJ I can't say for sure that I have never seen an entry with slices on the bias, but it isn't often. I imagine if you have a thin flat that it might improve the look of the slice bias cut.

Wanted to take a quick survey. When slicing brisket flat for a Turn In box, do you:
A: Slice the brisket perpendicular to the cutting board, providing a narrow slice of brisket.

or

B: Slice the brisket on a bias, providing a wider slice of brisket.

On a recent practice cook, I sliced on the bias. I was extremely pleased with the appearance of the wider slices.

But.... I never use a brisket in a comp that is so thin that it would need a bias slice.

Back