MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Preferred UDS Charcoal Basket?

So far, I've found a drum and have taken the Norco approach and have the grates at 1.75" and 8" from the top. I'm also borrowing the 2" aluminum strip idea to adopt a 22.5" Weber lid.

I thought I had the charcoal basket all figured out but now I'm probably making it much more complicated than it needs to be. After a ton of research, I'm waffling and can't seem to settle on the dimensions.

I'm locked and loaded on supplies, with two 17" Weber charcoal grates, the expanded metal, a 16" perforated pizza pan for a diffuser plus an 18" ash pan. Originally, I was planning on a 17" x 8" basket. The width would help disperse heat evenly, it'd have plenty of capacity and be 15" from the lower food grate. Piece of cake.

But then I got to thinking that the edge of the basket might be too close to the edge of the ash pan. I saw the posts about larger baskets being potential overkill and I'd also planned to have another rack for the diffuser roughly 3" above the top of the basket. So that got me second guessing before I fire up the jigsaw...

Now I'm leaning towards something like 15" x 10" or 15" x 12". Also, with the 15" diameter or so, I'd have a little extra room on the sides of the ash pan and I could potentially lay the ash pan on top of the basket as others have done to avoid having to drill more holes into the drum.

So what have you used and what were the burn times like? Wider and shorter? Smaller and taller? Did you have to reload fuel at all with the diffuser? I think I've seen all the basket variations but no real consensus. I've traditionally cooked with Ozark Oak lump and would like to stick with that for the UDS, though I could mix in some TJ's briquettes for stability.

Thx in advance.
bbq1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 04:29 AM   #2
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Lots of ways to do it. For mine,
I used 2) 15 inch Weber grates at 90 degrees to each other to keep smaller pieces from falling thru wired tied together. 2) pieces of expanded metal 12X14 from HD formed and bolted together. WIred the coal grates 3 inches up from the bottom of the expanded metal. A removable ash catcher pizza pan held on with more safety wire. Real easy to remove to dump ashes. I have ran out of coals once, my fault as I did not fill up the basket enough. Cold temps you burn more coals.

After that I tried a mod of directing the inlet air to only the coal basket and do not use the ash catcher. I sweep out the ashes with a small broom and dustpan. I actually like it better than the ash catcher. Here's a shot so you can get an idea of the room from a 15 inch Weber grate.

ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq1980 View Post

Now I'm leaning towards something like 15" x 10" or 15" x 12". Also, with the 15" diameter or so, I'd have a little extra room on the sides of the ash pan and I could potentially lay the ash pan on top of the basket as others have done to avoid having to drill more holes into the drum.

Thx in advance.
Man that's a lot of thinking on something as simple as a burn basket......,

I thought Ash Pans went UNDER the basket?

ALOT of folk roll expanded metal around a gas grill bottle so whatever diameter that is and 8-10" tall with 2-3" legs and you have Plenty of burn time 12-16 hrs.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Fwismoker

BBQ i'd look at Big Poppa Smoker kit's drum baskets because they sell the parts ala cart. The big benefit is by using that one allows you to move the basket from the smoking position up higher to a grilling and searing position. It comes with all the hardware you need.

If you're gonna have a UDS you might as make it grill and sear also, it expands the capabilities big time.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
BBQ i'd look at Big Poppa Smoker kit's drum baskets because they sell the parts ala cart. The big benefit is by using that one allows you to move the basket from the smoking position up higher to a grilling and searing position. It comes with all the hardware you need.

If you're gonna have a UDS you might as make it grill and sear also, it expands the capabilities big time.
And you can move that basket up while it's hot, and while the upper grates are in place right? That nest hook is really handy.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Here is mine

12"x48" #9 3/4" expanded. I think a 48" piece comes out to about 15.25" diameter. I put my bottom approx 3" from the bottom thus giving me a basket that is 9"x15.25". I weld it to a 16" pizza pan and use 3 - 3/8"x3" bolted on the bottom of the pizza pan for feet.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JI9.jpg (48.6 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg new charcoal basket.jpg (73.1 KB, 518 views)
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
And you can move that basket up while it's hot, and while the upper grates are in place right? That nest hook is really handy.
Yea you can pull it up while it's hot....when i use it for reverse sears that's what i do. Can you pull it up with the top grate in place...probably but you'd have to move some meat out of the way. It's just easier to pull it and put it back imo.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the input. I'd be going the weld-free route for sure and have a smaller ~13" x 5" basket I built for my "UDS-ified" ECB where I did the 90 degree orientation and that's worked well. The dimensions from coach were similar to what I was envisioning and yeah, the 18" ash pan would be bolted on to the bottom of my 3" bolts. I have a gas grill so I'd primarily be using the drum for it's primary purpose.

The BPS basket checks in at 13 and 3/8" x 7.5" so 15" x 9" or 15 x 8" should be more than enough. Those basket handles look cool though. I haven't quite figure out yet what I intend to do for a handle. I've seen the coat hanger, the chains, etc. I figured I'd get the basket built first.
bbq1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal basket, uds build, uds diffuser