• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Taking the fun out of Smoking...

rus_bro

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
An accountant at heart and always working to perfect the brisket, this is what happens after a brisket cook.

Thought id share my madness.
03.27.2017%20Screenshot_zpsmxpmp8vg.jpg

rb

Haha NERD!!!

Just kidding, I always find myself wishing I had taken better notes on previous cooks.

You are speaking to my hidden inner nerd! This is a good idea, it would help achieve consistency if nothing else.

BTW what app did you use to plot this? Is there related hardware?

Last edited:
A true nerd would not be taking the measurements manually and entering them into Excel . . .

:becky:

This is how you get better. You take notes on your cooks and reflect on what you liked and didn't like then apply what you learned on the next cook.

I'm sure there are plenty of people, including me, that will say they keep notes on their cooks.

The ability to record my data is one of the reasons I love my CyberQ controller.

Here is an 11.5 hour pork shoulder:
15894536_10158226245610107_1339585639972147680_n.jpg

My regret is not exporting the data before my phone updated to Nougat and I lost the data except for the screen grabs. Booooooooo!

The ability to record my data is one of the reasons I love my CyberQ controller.

Here is an 11.5 hour pork shoulder:
15894536_10158226245610107_1339585639972147680_n.jpg

My regret is not exporting the data before my phone updated to Nougat and I lost the data except for the screen grabs. Booooooooo!

That CyberQ holds a hell of a temp doesnt it? I am tracking like a pilgrim. Pen and a spreadsheet. :)

rb

That CyberQ holds a hell of a temp doesnt it? I am tracking like a pilgrim. Pen and a spreadsheet. :)

rb

HAHAHA I know it's kind of cheating!

I actually didn't even consider the benefit of graphing a cook until seeing my first cook with the CyberQ. I can't wait to see how a brisket looks on the graph with the stall!

A true nerd would have plotted the actual time on the X axis and not each time stamp as an event. Since you didn't check your temps at consistent time intervals it changes the shape of your graph.
Changing from a "line" chart to a "scatter" chart in Excel will fix it.

A true nerd would have plotted the actual time on the X axis and not each time stamp as an event. Since you didn't check your temps at consistent time intervals it changes the shape of your graph.
Changing from a "line" chart to a "scatter" chart in Excel will fix it.

I definitely thought of that when putting the chart together. BUUTTT the scatter graph wont track the actual TIMES on the X Axis, only plots by point in sequence. So since i did not track the temps at consistent times, there is no way of knowing what actual times the temp points were taken.

#gettingtoodeep :)

rb

This is how you get better. You take notes on your cooks and reflect on what you liked and didn't like then apply what you learned on the next cook.

I'm sure there are plenty of people, including me, that will say they keep notes on their cooks.

^^^this!!!

it also helps when you have several cookers to know/remember that one might cook quicker than the other or have hot/cold spot or take longer to come up to temp, etc. i have never graphed a temp but i make notes until i get it right and then i can refer back to what needs to be done.

Back