MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

Default Counterweight Question (Lonestar Offset)

After alot of research and mulling over, Im finally ready to pull the trigger on the LSG 24x40 offset and have everything ironed out except the counterweight. LSG said the door is about 50lbs. I hate the look of the weights and am already paying $850 to ship to NJ so I would prefer to keep the extra $200 for the counter. How critical is the counterweight for this size smoker and for someone reasonably fit?

https://lonestargrillz.com/collectio...-offset-smoker
93_confirmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

If you can lift 50# over your head with one hand you will be fine

Old 04-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

A quick word of wisdom..... This might (just might) be the last smoker you'll need to buy. The single door 24x40 is a beast if you have a wonky shoulder. I visited them and tried both versions. It was an easy decision to get it. In fact, I added about 15 pounds of lead shot in the tube chamber to make it even easier. But that's what we over-the-hill guys do. My advice.... get it now.

For reference......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=57

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
Hawklaw
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : T

Seems like some good advice here. Even if you are physically fine now, you would hate to be selling off your "last" smoker just a few years from now because an unforeseen rotator cuff surgery has found its way onto the agenda. Those kind of physical breakdowns are hard to imagine . . . until they happen. In the bigger picture it is probably relatively cheap insurance.
Hawklaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #5
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

Those are good points about future proofing the purchase. Im officially over the hill so the aches and pains will start creeping in.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

There's other systems which can be used to offset the weight of the doors. I've seen quite a few people use a spring system, and I've seen pneumatic systems as well. Both will help with the weight of the door and won't weight anywhere near as much as a heavy counterweight.

If you deadset on the counterweight you might also want to forego it right now, and if it becomes necessary take it to a local welder / fabricator. This way you're not paying for the extra dimensions in the shipping process.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
Whumpa
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

I am just throwing this out there because honestly I don’t know. But is there a way for Lone Star to make the counter weight detachable? Thinking bolt it on if and when the time comes that you need or want it.
Whumpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #8
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
There's other systems which can be used to offset the weight of the doors. I've seen quite a few people use a spring system, and I've seen pneumatic systems as well. Both will help with the weight of the door and won't weight anywhere near as much as a heavy counterweight.

If you deadset on the counterweight you might also want to forego it right now, and if it becomes necessary take it to a local welder / fabricator. This way you're not paying for the extra dimensions in the shipping process.
I just put the phone order in and skipped it. If I reach a point where the door is too heavy Ill figure out an aftermarket solution.

On a related note, shipping ended up being $520 rather than the $851 quote I got on their website so that's a nice win.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #9
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

I went to their shop and put my hands on all of their smokers. This was one of the reasons I didn't go with the 24x40 or the taller wheels. I could really feel the weight in my shoulder. I ended up going 20x42 and standard sized 5" wheels. Unless you are a really tall guy or just a bruiser in general I suspect you'll want the counterweight.

Congrats on new purchase!!

Old 04-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #10
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I’ve got a 20x48 Klose. The counterweight is a must.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #11
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I prefer the counterweight. I had one on my former Klose and have one on my Shirley. Easy one-handed operation.

David

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #12
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

I have a 20 X 40 Old Country Brazos. It does not have a counter weight but I wish it did. And OC now makes a Brazos with a counter weight.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #13
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

Thanks for all the comments. After sleeping on the order for the 24x40, Im starting to consider a switch to the 20x42 model so the counterweight wouldnt be an issue. Im not crazy about the design on the 20 but it has everything the 24 has, no tuning plates to hassle with, better table and would save me about a grand. Ill probably never need the capacity in all honestly. Im torn and have been reading through old threads about these models. Someone convince me one way or the other.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #14
Speeed
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Speed

I own a 20x36 LSG.
My search started much like yours. I really wanted the 24x36. Thats pretty much what I was set on but after having a heart to heart with myself I conceded the 24" was A) more smoker than I actually needed and B) was more than I really wanted to spend.

While I never owned a 24" I have had the 20" for about 2 years now and it has done everything I've asked of it and I don't feel like I missed out on anything choosing the 20" over the 24". Only thing I may have done different... is for the extra $100 I should have bought the 20x42 but honestly I have yet to run into a space limitation issue even with the 36".

The 20" series are awesome pits. Once the fire management basket was added (The basket should be standard in my opinion) it has become so ridiculously easy and predictable to run. I have zero regrets on choosing the 20"

But to your original question... If I were ordering the 24"x40" I would definitely get the counter weight.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:53 PM   #15
marvda1
Full Fledged Farker

I would look at moving up to the 24 x 48 with two doors.
marvda1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->