Combination Brick Pit/ Bread/Pizza Oven- Possible??

P

Penguinboy

Hi all-

Been reading here for a while, and this is my first post!

I've been planning a brick BBQ pit for a while now and me and my wife have been looking at plans and we were just about ready to commit to building it, when she got it in her head that she also wants to incorporate a bread/pizza oven. Seems easy enough- a little extra concrete and brick,I thought... During my research I found little in common with BBQ and bread making. The bread/pizza oven has the fire in the oven, gets to 700 or 400 degrees depending on pizza or bread. BBQ is offset, 210 and goes 15 hours or so... My question is, anyone ever build anything like this? At this point I'm thinking basically 2 structures that share little other than a concrete pad and maybe go back to back. Can't think of any way to share a heat source, chimmney,etc...

911 to anyone who's done this before me!! much obliged.....

-Danny

I seem to recall seeing such a thing here somewhere (which of course, I can't find now..).
My hunch would be that you would have two chambers. One would hold your fire, directly above which would be your cooking chamber for bread and pizza. Your smoking chamber would be next to the bread chamber, using the heat source in the standard off-set fashion.
Naturally, the door to your fire chamber would have adjustable vents for temerature control. I don't think you'd be able to do 'que and make bread at the same time though..
Just my 2 cents....

I'd also like to hear any other ideas on this - we're moving to a new house and the wife is serious about making something similar. Just who the heck do you call to make it?

Mike

you can build a fire box on bottom for bbq pit, directly over that would be cooking racks or hooks for you bbq, over that would be the dome for bread/pizza and in the rear of this chamber is where you build your fire

I saw that one the other day- great read! The author states he originally had planned a brick pizza oven, but changed the plan due to space limitations, but wishes he had done it. With the price of bread going up the way it is, my wife is determined to bake her own! We buy buns at a local restaurant supply place- 12 pack of wonder burger buns for pulled pork sammys- $.89 last week. Bought some yesterday for a party we're throwing this weekend- $1.45. $.56 increase in a week!! OUCH!!! Catering prices are going up this year!!!!

A jumbo ceramic cooker can make bread, grill steaks, and do low & slow.
BGE, KomodoKamado, Primo, Grill Dome, etc... all make cookers that hit all three of your requirements...except for brick & built-in.

I bake pizza and bread in my BWS with the edition of ceramic floor tiles and or quarry tiles.

I saw a plan awhile back that showed Inlaid "pipes" going from the "hot" chamber to the "cool" chamber. Sorry I don't remember where I saw that.

Take a look at this site, there may be something here that you might find interesting.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/

I moonlight at that site quite a bit. I'm "Brauma" on that forum too.

My thoughts would be to keep the BBQ and pizza oven separate if you want a masonry structure.

The best compromise is a Big Green Egg (BGE) if you want to do BBQ and pizza with one apparatus.

I moonlight at that site quite a bit. I'm "Brauma" on that forum too.

My thoughts would be to keep the BBQ and pizza oven separate if you want a masonry structure.

The best compromise is a Big Green Egg (BGE) if you want to do BBQ and pizza with one apparatus.

like this?

chuckiesand-007.jpg

pulledporkpizza-007.jpg

I knew Rick would chime in soon. He should be on the BGE payroll to teach classes. :lol:

So what are you looking to build, Danny? An outdoor kitchen?

Brauma- Not really looking for a full fledged outdoor kitchen... We have 2 WSMs, 2-blue weber gold one touch kettles, one special edition Homer simpson 22" one touch that only comes out on special occassions, and a propane grill- mostly to simmer onions and beer for brats! We wanted to pour a big concrete pad to put them all on and build a nice pergola over it, then we got the idea to add a brick pit, classic style, for burgers and dogs and chix and a fireplace. Then we figured we could get some sort of enclosure/door to add so we could smoke, then my wife wanted to do a pizza/bread oven. Now I'm running out of room on my pad! So not really what I think of as a kitchen- just BBQ. Thinking someone must've done this before me. I'm thinking now maybe a side by side dealie, one big massive brick structure, since the heat sources are so different and run at such different temps and times. Got any ideas? -Danny

That sounds a lot like what I have in mind. I've run the gambit from doing a concrete patio to laying pavers to stamped concrete. I want it under roof like you mentioned. What I'm looking at is constructing a pyramidal roof structure with a cupola at the peak. A ceiling fan will be mounted in the cupola or just under it to draw out all the smoke and heat. I'm thinking this structure will be 12x12'.

Once thats built I'll lay pavers or flagstones and I can change the layout around until it works for me.

I just want to place all my cooking equipment under one outdoor roof for now and be more organized. I don't see a masonry BBQ pit in my plans right now but I would love to build a Pompeii style pizza oven in the future.

Wow, thats a hell of a structure. I love the outdoor fireplace. That will be a super place for outdoor parties and gatherings.

What I have in mind is open-sided on all 4 sides. I've got 4 huge cedar logs that I'll use for the 4 posts. I have a rustic look in mind.

Back