MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #151
lkissell
On the road to being a farker

All I can say is THANK YOU Brethren! I was very close to purchasing a Traeger when I discovered this thread, and it convinced me to go with a Rec-Tec.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Rec-Tec product and customer support. While I'm sure Traeger will eventually iron things out, I would have been really disappointed to be a Beta tester for a $2K grill.

The efforts by members of this board to share important information is amazing, and very helpful!
Hunsaker Drum
lkissell is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #152
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know I might be settling a bit but we are liking our more and more all the time.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #153
unixadm
Take a breath!

I've provided Traeger some pretty extensive information. Support said someone from their HQ will be calling me to discuss my suggestions in further detail. We'll see.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #154
inline6power
Found some matches.

I know this is my first post but just found this thread by searching on google so I signed up. I have a 1300 and I do have the black door problem but that's it. Reaches 500* in about 17 minutes and I have zero smoke from the hopper. I checked to make sure I was on the .03 firmware but I am not sure if there is anything else to do so I am now here.
inline6power is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #155
unixadm
Take a breath!

Welcome. Black soot?

Old 08-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #156
inline6power
Found some matches.

If I cook on anything lower than 225 with super smoke on, I get a lot of black spot all over the inside of the grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #157
inline6power
Found some matches.

Not spot sorry dang fat fingers. Black soot

Old 08-02-2017, 11:01 PM   #158
inline6power
Found some matches.

If I cook anything with temps of 225 and below with super smoke on I get a lot of black soot build up on the inside of the grill. Everything seems to be black like a diesel exhaust tip black

Old 08-02-2017, 11:14 PM   #159
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6power View Post
If I cook anything with temps of 225 and below with super smoke on I get a lot of black soot build up on the inside of the grill. Everything seems to be black like a diesel exhaust tip black
Yup. It's because the controller firmware is briefly shutting the fan off during Super Smoke. Clean it out and don't use super smoke for the time being. Run at 200 degrees for a bit. Mine puts out a lot of smoke at that temp in normal mode.

I've already reported every possible issue I can find with the 01.01.03 firmware. It appears there are two issues going on.

1. Temperature control, recovery and soot. This is a firmware issue.
2. Burn back and auger issues. This appears too be a mechanical issue.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:54 PM   #160
inline6power
Found some matches.

If I start seeing burn back, what is a possible fix for that? I read as much as I can on this thread and I understand the black soot can be fixed with a firmware fix, just hope that happens but what about burn back? I am ready to pull my smoke daddy guts out of my old Traeger to put in this timberline.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #161
unixadm
Take a breath!

Do you have any burn back occurring? In my 1300, I've yet to experience it. I don't believe it's affecting everyone.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #162
inline6power
Found some matches.

I only get back burn if I cook low and slow. Seems if I keep it 250 or hotter I don't get back burn. But if I cook at say 200 or below I will get some smoke out the hopper but goes away if I turn the temp up a little. Also seems to only happen once in a great while on the back burn. Not an every cook problem. My biggest concern is the fan stopping and causing some black soot.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #163
inline6power
Found some matches.

I usually cook on the 1300 2-3 times a week and I got it when they first started shipping them out. Out of that entire time I have maybe experienced back burn maybe 4-5 times so it's not my biggest worry. Just want a clean burn is my gripe

Old 08-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #164
Beefcake
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Adam B

My 850 seems to be working fine since the V.03 update. Super smoked a rib-eye and reverse seared it, came out great. A few high temp grills came out very well with the grill recovering fast after flipping burgers. I'm starting to like the 850 again...

Old 08-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #165
jpmorrison
Got rid of the matchlight.

Smile My latest Timberline 1300 Update

Well here is my latest update. Purchased the 1300 from a Taeger Platinum Dealer out of Austin, Texas (Thank you Jesus). I had cronic burn back, started getting more and more soot issues, fan issues, and the list goes on and on. They finally said it needed to be replaced. They handled this on my behalf with Traeger and their Traegar Rep. They delivered the new 1300 unit today, setup and ready to season even though I live about 80 miles away. Very appreciative of that.

I setup the app and wifi, primed the auger and the grease trap, turned up to 500 degrees and hit ignite with the lid open. Once it began to smoke I closed the lid and let it go for 45 minutes as per instructions. It got up to 441 and was continuing to climb when I shut it down. Super clean cook with the grates still silver and not black, and no burn back at all even during the shutdown process. This was a big deal to me since I got burn back at low temperatures and during the shutdown process just about every time on the old grill. With that being said, I'm happy with the new grill so far. I will keep you updated as time goes on. I will say this. I was told that the Traeger Rep said they are having issues with approximately 2 out of every 10 Timberlines sold. I don't know if that is just the 1300 model or includes the 850 as well. Maybe those of us that have had problems are the 20%'ers. I'm glad they are doing everything they can to make it right even though the Platimum Dealer (BBQ Outfitters) probably had a lot to do with that. Hope this information helps. Happy Grilling.
jpmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->