MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
gfh
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Gaylon
Default Thanksgiving Turkey - Goodbye Gasser

Made one final cook on my gasser before my Limo Jr. build gets done and it gets retired - Decided to cook a few Conecuh sausage and try a small 12lb Turkey.

Cooked a little hotter than I normally do with pork, about 275 or so, and let the water pan go dry towards the end to get temps up over 300. Pulled the bird off with a thigh temp of 175 after about 4 hours. The breast meat was still moist, and had an excellent smoke flavor. Nothing fancy on the bird, just a dry brine with a little sage and lots of black pepper. iWe'll do this again.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve with the Limo Jr., but I'm really looking forward to its debut cook, hopefully by Christmas.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reduced - 20211125_092116.jpg (67.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Reduced - 20211125_140830.jpg (72.3 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211126-091043_FireBoardx.jpg (22.3 KB, 199 views)
gfh is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #2
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Great looking bird! I know you're fired up about the Limo Jr.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

That looks like a fine day.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I don't blame you for doing that recipe again. Looks delicious

Old 11-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #5
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Tha came out great!!! Can’t wait to see next years bird on your new cooker!

Old 11-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #6
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfh View Post
Made one final cook on my gasser before my Limo Jr. build gets done and it gets retired - Decided to cook a few Conecuh sausage and try a small 12lb Turkey.

Cooked a little hotter than I normally do with pork, about 275 or so, and let the water pan go dry towards the end to get temps up over 300. Pulled the bird off with a thigh temp of 175 after about 4 hours. The breast meat was still moist, and had an excellent smoke flavor. Nothing fancy on the bird, just a dry brine with a little sage and lots of black pepper. iWe'll do this again.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve with the Limo Jr., but I'm really looking forward to its debut cook, hopefully by Christmas.

-
Congrats on the Sourhern Q order. Get prepared to Flatline that Fireboard. They make an excellent pairing.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
gfh
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Gaylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
Congrats on the Sourhern Q order. Get prepared to Flatline that Fireboard. They make an excellent pairing.
After a lot of waffling, I ordered the FB 20cfm fan and ball valve adapter (and drive cable) to go with my FB2. Any hints on setup? I'm a little concerned about too much air out of this fan versus the 10 cfm pit viper that a lot of folks seem to use with th FB on GF smokers. Worst case there is a max speed setting on the FB.

What could possibly go wrong?
gfh is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfh View Post
After a lot of waffling, I ordered the FB 20cfm fan and ball valve adapter (and drive cable) to go with my FB2. Any hints on setup? I'm a little concerned about too much air out of this fan versus the 10 cfm pit viper that a lot of folks seem to use with th FB on GF smokers. Worst case there is a max speed setting on the FB.

What could possibly go wrong?
I’d try it fully open at first and see how it goes. I have the 10cm guru fan and it’s solid. Never any runaway temps like you hear occasionally on other rigs. That would be the only thing to worry about and you could choke the fan down if needed, but I suspect it will be fine fully open. If it does work fully open you should get a boost in the recovery time with double the fan cfm. Keep us posted on how it works if you don’t mind.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote