Rack of pork

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis
My wife noticed that Costco was carrying some small (8-bone, ~ 5-6 pound) rack of pork, bone in (Swift) and picked one up for a treat to try. These run $3.99/pound, but there was some promotion for a few dollars off. It is actually too small to stuff, so we decided to try it like we would a prime rib. It is also enhanced, and I have not had good experience with enhanced meat (nor with pork lately), so my expectations were not too high. I seasoned this with some Lawry's, Foil Hat Rub, Kirklands Mesquite seasoning, and parsley. I set up the Oval with one diffuser plate in and the other grate set low to do a sear. I had a large chunk of oak above the coals. I put the roast on, bone-side-down, indirect at 280*. I normally do a prime rib at 220*, but because this is thinner, I thought I could up the temperature a bit.

IMG_3809.jpg

After about 1:45, the IT was between 145 and 150*. I pulled it and foiled it for about 10 minutes. I opened the vents on the Oval and cranked up the temp to about 400*+. I seared all three sides for about 1-2 minutes per side:

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

I pulled it and let it set for a couple minutes (while the baked potatoes and beans finished). I then sliced:

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

I know it is not pink (my family prefers pork IT in the 150* range; whereas I try to drop that IT as much as I dare), but it was extremely juicy, tender and thoroughly delicious. Don't know if anyone else has tried them out there, but I do recommend them.

I should mention these racks did come Frenched, but they did not remove the membrane. I took mine off as I always do. It came off in one solid sheet in a couple seconds. (I just gripped it with a paper towel and pulled).

Last edited:
Man that looks terrific!!!!

fil

headed to the fridge now :x

I love that cut of meat, although I have never cooked an enhanced rack before. I know, my loss :tsk:

I love that cut of meat, although I have never cooked an enhanced rack before. I know, my loss :tsk:

:becky:

Awesome! Did you have to french that rack, or did it come ready to go?

It did come Frenched. I was a bit surprised they left the membrane on. Took me all of 3 seconds to take it off. Probably should've mentioned that. I should go back and put that in. I think they might just have these for the holidays, but they really are a special meal, definitely worth paying the premium.

Gore, that looks fabulous, and beautifully cooked! :clap2:

I just saw those at Costco the other day - they used to carry the non-enhanced versions a while back, but then stopped all of a sudden. I might have to give them a try.

Thanks for posting this!

Gore, that looks fabulous, and beautifully cooked! :clap2:

I just saw those at Costco the other day - they used to carry the non-enhanced versions a while back, but then stopped all of a sudden. I might have to give them a try.

Thanks for posting this!

I'd be curious to know how this compared to the non-enhanced version. I'll be looking for your review. :thumb:

That looks waaay better than the pork roast I cooked tonight - especially the crust - very nice work! :clap2:

Back