MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Default UDS for Bread or pizza baking

I've been looking at building brick pizza oven (Pompeii style) for a while. While reading the UDS mother lode thread (i'm only up to page 117) I noticed the high temps that are possible with a UDS.
Have any Brethern used pizza or quarry stones in a UDS to bake loaves of bread? I've seen a few posts that look like a BGE was used for pizzas.

My wife likes the idea of a UDS more than a Cookshack Amerique or stick burners I've been lusting after.

My goal is to winter build a UDS, just need to motivate my friend for some assistance. No way I can clean burn a UDS in town. My deep appreciation to the Brethern for creating an online community that feels like a real community.

I need to post my pics from last weekends smoke. Wouldn't call it pron, more like an adolescent coming of age flick.

Thanks for any insights
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

High temps in a UDS are uncontrolled burns. Usually the result of leaving the lid off too long.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
wecsobbq
Got Wood.

Lately I have been thinking about lining a drum with castable refractory mortar. Kind of like an Ugly Egg Drum. Don't know if it would work or is feasible. I just know I can't afford an Egg!
wecsobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

How about putting a 55 inside a 85 overpack drum? 2" of Refractory cement in the bottom and then fill up the sides, after putting in the pipe nipples for air vents.

I get measurements of 26" diameter and 37" high for overpack 85 gallon drums and Outside Bottom 21 3/16" Top 22 1/2" and Outside Heights Minimum 33 7/8 " Maximum 33 7/8 so working it right you could use either lid. Overpack drum I was quoted $134.15 plus GST Plus shipping. I'd get my kids to get it from Calgary to Edmonton and then pay the 95$ to ship to me, it would be cube price so I'd have it filled with charcoal or chunk wood. or someone with an empty pickup coming north from Edmonton I'd kick in for gas money.

I might yet. We'll see how the UDS stands up to the big drop in temps coming soon. Only hit -20C a few times so far and even un-insulated it has done well. I will have to get some pictures and a write up.
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
High temps in a UDS are uncontrolled burns. Usually the result of leaving the lid off too long.
I figured I had to be missing something on those high temps or there would be a stampede from the bread forums to the Brethern's UDS thread

As an aside Norcoredneck your post have been an amzing resource for my upcoming drum build

Here is what I did last Sunday
Chicken thighs marinated and Italian sausage dipped in buffalo sauce before smoking, (they burn the lips when you bite them with out a bun.) see if I loaded the picture right otherwise.... IT NEVER HAPPENED
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC

Last edited by pahutchens; 04-06-2014 at 03:12 PM..
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
LT72884
Babbling Farker

i cant get the UDS over 315*F on a good day. Thats cause i live at 4600 feet or so

Tags
bread, Pizza, uds