Beef cheeks!? What are these!?

BBQscott

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just heard about "beef cheeks" apparently it's exactly what it sounds like, the cows checks. It seems these are nothing like the the rest of the cow and come out very delicious if slow cooked. Anyone here ever tried these? If so, how were they and how did you cook them? I also assume you would have to special order these from a butcher as I have never seen them at a store around my area.

Here is a recipe for barbacoa from a friend of mine. It is very good.

Take 10 LB. of beef cheek meat (cachete de res) and heavily season it with chili powder, black pepper, comino (Spanish for cumin) and salt.
Lay the meat directly on the racks in a barbeque pit preheated to 350 degrees and cook for 4 hours at 300 to 350 degrees.
Transfer the fully cooked meat to a 1/2 sized aluminum steam table pan (2 3/16" deep). It is very tough at this point. Pour in most of a can of beer (either pour out the rest or drink it, your choice), one can of Rotel diced tomatoes and chilis (include the juice), and the juice from one lime.
Seal the pan with foil and put in an oven preheated to 200 degrees. Braise for about 4 hours at 200. If the meat doesn't fall apart with a fork then braise it longer. If you braise at 300, it will be ready sooner. Braise it until it is fall-apart tender.
Eat on tortillas with fresh Pico de Gallo and Cilantro or for breakfast with scrambled juevos.

Walmart sells them. love the flavor but have to trim a lot of fat. at least the ones that come form Walmart

They are Great I have coated them with flour then browned them in butter in a hot pan I then put them in a dish Cover with pork gravy, put in sliced onion and carrots cover in in oven for 2-3 hrs at 350 YUM

Barbacoa is a term that can include several cuts of meat that are braised/slow cooked; cheek being one of them.
Beef cheek is "cachete' is Mexican cooking. I have only had it in tacos. It's freakin' delicious!

A taco joint I used to go to would serve cheek (cachete), cabeza (general meat from the head), and ojo (meat from the eye area...not the eyeball) as meat choices for a taco. Honestly, they all really tasted the same with a nearly identical texture.

Smoke them and then braise them. They're bangin! :thumb:

Walmart sells them. love the flavor but have to trim a lot of fat. at least the ones that come form Walmart
Yep, I find them at Wally World too. But there is so much fat, that I just smoke low & slow then braise low & slow. The fat melts away and becomes sticky & sweet.

Had no idea barbacoa was beef cheek, learn something new every day! Thanks for the info guys, I'll check out my local walmart and see if they stock them here. Maybe I'll have something new to try this weekend.

They are amazing. Even better when mixed in with the entire head, but still awesome by themselves
YxlgadYl.jpg

RPj95Pbl.jpg

Also great braised with a little red wine reduction over polenta.

Treat them just like Chuck roast. Smoke low and slow over hickory or oak until desired color then braise with the liquid of your choice (wine, stock, beer, etc ) until desired tenderness. I braised a few pounds in beef stock with honey, jalapeno and a little lime juice for some of the best tacos I've ever had.

I tried beef cheeks once. Toughest piece of meat I ever tried. Keep in mind that cows spend their day chewing their cud.

Prepare accordingly.

Back