MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
randy033
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Randy
Default Beef ribs

Hey y'all. I want to smoke some beef ribs. Is there any other ribs besides short ribs? I live in North Georgia and that all I can find. I think that I have heard of chuck ribs but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
randy033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

See if you can source beef plate ribs. They're like brontosaurus ribs. Twice as long as short ribs.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
JJJBBQ
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : J

Beef back ribs. It’s the leftover bones after the carve off the prime rib. Lot less meat than plate ribs, but still plenty tasty.
Uuni 3 Pizza Oven
22” Blackstone
Arteflame
JJJBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Another vote for plate ribs, if you can find them. They are cut low and in back of the brisket, aka brisket on a stick.
InThePitBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Chris at Virtual Weber Bulletin, has a good breakdown of beef ribs, both plate ribs and plate chuck ribs .......

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/shortribs2.html

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/be...hort-ribs.html
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Plate ribs, when I can find them, are pretty spendy in my neck of the woods. But ^ beef back ribs ^ are usually a pretty good deal at around $3.20 a pound for choice Angus.... which equates to $18 for a 7-rib rack.

Treat them like pork ribs. Peel the membrane, trim any tags that might dry up, season them heavy enough to withstand a 3 or 4 hour smoke time. I usually wrap for about 1 hour to push the tenderness where I want it. The last rack I did was meaty enough to inject, which worked out really nice.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-13-2019, 03:20 AM   #7
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Have you tried Ferguson’s Meat Market near Cumming? I saw some plate ribs when I stopped there on my way to Ellijay.

www.fergusonsmeatmarket.com

Old 02-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #8
Mandreyka
Knows what a fatty is.

Beef back ribs is what you want,but they have a very high bone to meat ratio.

You can usually find them on sale or ask your butcher for them, they are usually taken off of the prime rib before selling
Mandreyka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
Another vote for plate ribs, if you can find them. They are cut low and in back of the brisket, aka brisket on a stick.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #10
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

So there are 3 bone plate and 4 bone chuck ribs (what I see the most).

You can also find back ribs that have meat between the bones (as opposed to on top of the bone like short ribs). I used to cook these all the time at the BBQ restaurant, but have to admit, I seldom see them for sale in the grocery store. When I do, they are always previously frozen.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #11
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sams will have the big plate ribs. You have to ask for them but they always have them. Back ribs are tasty but not much meat.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote