Sliced Pork Butt on the UDS

KClandcruiser

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of pulled pork lately, and decided it was time to do a sliced pork butt. Sliced pork is what I always order at bbq places around KC so I wanted to see if I could make something comparable.

Started with deboning and trussing. Then, injected it with butcher block's pork injection and seasoned with Salt Licks garlic rub. Smoked on the UDS around 275 for about 6 hours until it hit an I.T. of 180. Wrapped in butcher paper and rested in a cooler for an hour then sliced it up

Attachments

• 20190210_083218.jpg
    20190210_083218.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 20190210_090715.jpg
    20190210_090715.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Screenshot_20190210-133618_BBQ Go.jpg
    Screenshot_20190210-133618_BBQ Go.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 20190210_150558.jpg
    20190210_150558.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 20190210_170357.jpg
    20190210_170357.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 293
Sounds yummy. How easily did it slice and was it tender to your liking after you did?

Sliced pretty easily, the only hard part was getting through the bark without a serrated knife. I only sliced up enough for the meal and then put it in the fridge to firm up. Going to slice the rest up tonight.

I was really happy with how tender it came out. I don't think you would want to take it to a much higher I.T. than 180 with slicing, I could feel it starting to want to fall apart on certain slices.

Did you beat the locals that do sliced? I have only been to Gates, but I know that Bryant's slices. Not sure of any others?

Did you beat the locals that do sliced? I have only been to Gates, but I know that Bryant's slices. Not sure of any others?

I don't know if I'd say that I beat them, but I was proud of it. Going to have to do some more practice before making any proclamations like that

Nice work, I do love cooking butts for slicing, especially good with smoked apples cooked with butter and a little brown sugar.

Nice work, I do love cooking butts for slicing, especially good with smoked apples cooked with butter and a little brown sugar.

Definitely going to have to try that next time. That sounds amazing. Now I'm really wanting to try smoked apple sauce

Love sliced pork butt!

I really like that Salt Lick Garlic rub as well. It's funny that Salt Lick is, IMO, more of a fun place than a great restaurant, yet their rub is fantastic. Shagdog and chicago_kp turned me on to it a few years back and I haven't been without it since. I use it on chix a lot - haven't tried it on pork, but will now.

I'm loving this - nicely done!

Thanks! I have never had their food but saw the rub in a bbq store and liked the taste of it. I thought the pepperiness of it worked out great with the pork. I prefer that over sweeter rubs.

Definitely going to try it on the next chicken I cook, I can only imagine how good that would be

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
A local joint around here does a sliced pork sandwhich and it melts like butter when you eat it. I always wonder how he does it, cooks it to a higher temp 195 ish, let it cool, then slice, and when you reheat it still stays together as a slab, but is tender as can be? I don't know, but I want to try to do it myself.

Slicable pork butt is highly underrated, and your's looks just great. When you think about it, a pork steak is a slice of the butt and they grill up very nicely. When I grind butts for sausage or green chili, I overbuy and slice off the money muscle ends, usually with two muscle groups, and smoke them for sliced pork. The rest is ground. I'm getting a premium piece of meat for $1.30/lb.

H2Xo575.jpg

vTUiLqK.jpg

I like it sliced as well time to time. It's stays moist is way more flavorful compared to pulled and I do like pulled as well. Looks great! :thumb:

Slicable pork butt is highly underrated, and your's looks just great. When you think about it, a pork steak is a slice of the butt and they grill up very nicely. When I grind butts for sausage or green chili, I overbuy and slice off the money muscle ends, usually with two muscle groups, and smoke them for sliced pork. The rest is ground. I'm getting a premium piece of meat for $1.30/lb.

H2Xo575.jpg

vTUiLqK.jpg

:thumb::thumb:
DanB

Back